will pregnancy tests work the same for me even tho im on T

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
colonelcornball
Awesomeness Quotient: idk
Primary language: english
Pronouns: He/it
Sexual identity: bisexual

will pregnancy tests work the same for me even tho im on T

Unread post by colonelcornball »

Hey chat so thers this girl i like and shes made it very clear that she is VERY fond of me and i just wanted to know if a pregnancy test would still work for me even though im on testosterone and progesterone while yes we would be using protection theres always a chance we forget or it break or somthing that would result in me needing to get tested for the sexually transmitted parasite known as baby and if pregnancy tests are no longer an accurate option for me what are ways i can test for baby without telling my mom
Andy
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: queer

Re: will pregnancy tests work the same for me even tho im on T

Unread post by Andy »

Hi there and welcome to the boards!

You don’t have to worry, pregnancy tests are just as effective for people on testosterone and/or progesterone. That’s because they are testing for the presence of a special hormone (it is called human chorionic gonadotropin or hCG if you are interested in the medical details :) that is produced only after a fertilized egg has implanted into the uterus and it’s production is not directly affected by other hormones in a way that would make the test ineffective. Does that make sense?
colonelcornball
Awesomeness Quotient: idk
Pronouns: He/it
Sexual identity: bisexual

Unread post by colonelcornball »

ah alighty tysm!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi colonelcornball,

I'm glad Andy's answer was helpful!

I do want to add that while it's good to have a plan for what to do if a condom breaks (which becomes way less likely if you follow all the steps for correct use outlined here: All the Barriers! All the Time!), forgetting a condom isn't really something that happens. It tends to be a choice made in the moment, because the people involved decide that they want to be sexual even though they don't have a condom. So, if pregnancy is something you really can't risk, you should figure that if there's no condom, no vaginal sex will be happening, no matter how badly you two may want it to.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic