Feeling really sad — want to talk about interests to feel a little better

When you want support through something scary or rough, and help pulling yourself together and getting through, this is the place.
Forum rules
We ask that users looking for general, ongoing emotional support post in this area of the boards, and that you use this space to both ask for, give and receive that support primarily from each other, rather than from our staff and volunteers. As a staff, we simply are often too overextended with all we need to do in running the organization and its services to do that for extended periods of time, and one of our main aims of our community at the boards has always been to facilitate peers to better be there for each other.

Users often report that they have no in-person peers they can talk to or seek support from: we want this to be a space for online peer support and somewhere everyone can get some practice asking for, getting and giving support so that doing it with people in your lives feels more doable.

Please remember that neither staff, volunteers nor your fellow users can provide or replace mental healthcare when that is something you need. Users struggling with issues like anxiety, depression, abuse or physical health issues are strongly encouraged to seek out qualified, in-person help with those issues in addition to peer or staff support.
Asking Queries
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like rocks
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Transfem, girlflux, lesbian/bisexual

Feeling really sad — want to talk about interests to feel a little better

Unread post by Asking Queries »

Hi everyone,

I’m having a really bad with my medical issues, including what felt like (but wasn’t really) a fight with my mom about me wanting to use a wheelchair.
Anyways, I’d like to talk about something interesting with people (to distract myself and fill my social meter a bit). My interests are pretty broad, and I’ll put the ones I can think of to talk about: I’m interested in geology, oceanography, trains, planes, machinery, painting, writing, and art and science in general. I’m also up for people just saying something interesting.
To be clear, I’m intending to have this be a fun discussion, and I won’t talk about my problems unless asked. I hope this is ok to ask for.

- AQ
“… we need to recognize that adolescents, like all human beings, need strong social bonds. To provide youth with such bonds—at an interpersonal and societal level—is the work of us all.” - Amy T. Schalet, Not Under My Roof.
Asking Queries
not a newbie

Re: Feeling really sad — want to talk about interests to feel a little better

I’m feeling mostly better now, although I don’t mind if people want to talk.
“… we need to recognize that adolescents, like all human beings, need strong social bonds. To provide youth with such bonds—at an interpersonal and societal level—is the work of us all.” - Amy T. Schalet, Not Under My Roof.
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Latha »

Hi AQ,

I'm sorry you're having such a bad time! Let us know if you would like to talk about what happened with your mother.

I can't say I know much about these topics, but I was reading these articles recently:
Earth from space: Shapeshifting rusty river winds through Madagascar's 'red lands'
Eye of the Sahara: Mauritania's giant rock dome that towers over the desert

(You might have better luck finding people to discuss with if you went to forums dedicated to these topics)
jellyfish4
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I do a lot of art, and I scuba
Pronouns: Idk

Unread post by jellyfish4 »

Hi AQ!!

I’m so sorry that you are going through all that, just know that you are loved, and we are here for you.

If you do get a wheelchair I think you should paint it that would be so cool!! What would you paint on it?

I have a hyper fixation on jelly fish, so I will be sharing some facts that make me happy in hopes they make you happy too :)

There are over 10,000 different varieties of jellies, there are jelly fish out there that are older than dinosaurs, they are 98 percent water (they are gust lil squishy guys) and I think they look like water color came to life.

Do you have any cool science facts???
Of course you feel too much, you are a universe of exploding stars
- S. ajna
Asking Queries
not a newbie

Hi Latha and jellyfish4,

Latha:
Thanks for those articles, they were quite interesting, especially the second one.
I’ll probably talk about the disagreement with my mom in a different thread so there aren’t multiple conversations going on.

I agree that I might have better luck if I went to dedicated forums — I asked here because of the weird situation of both being upset and wanting to talk about fun stuff. I’m not implying that you were disapproving of that, to be clear, just clarifying my thoughts.

jellyfish4:
Thanks for saying that, I really appreciate it!

Hmm, I’m not sure what I’d paint a wheelchair. One of my ideas is a joke that can only be seen from a certain position, like painted on the top of the seat. Maybe something like “This wheelchair is a trained attack wheelchair, theft is not advised.”

I recently did an oceanography course, so I’m certainly interested in ocean facts. :D

Wow, I didn’t know any of those facts about jellies: that’s a lot of varieties, I’m surprised that some can live that long, that’s an incredible percentage of water (I wonder if they’re around the same density as water then?). Ooh, water color came to life, that’s a cool similarity.

Definitely! Here’s two:
1: Similar in appearance to jellies, Portuguese Man o’ Wars aren’t actually one creature, but a collection of individuals. Here’s a NOAA article about them, *content warning for anyone else who looks them up, they look a lot like jellyfish*: https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/por ... o-war.html
2: In a vacuum, a dropped feather and a hammer will fall at the same rate and hit the ground at the same time. It’s one of those things that I intellectually understand, but it looks and feels so weird to actually see. If you look up “hammer and feather falling in vacuum” you can find YouTube videos of this demonstration being done on the moon (Apollo 15) and in vacuum chambers on earth.
Let me know if you want more, finding these was really fun!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic