Spotting before period?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Brian
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He/Him

Spotting before period?

Unread post by Brian »

Hello. My gf is expecting her period soon, and yesterday she believed she started her cycle, but it was just spotting. Does spotting usually occur before pregnancy?

We haven’t done anything for a month, and when we did it lacked any penetrative sex, with clean hands. My gf is worried she might be pregnant so she told me to ask.
Brian
not a newbie

Re: Spotting before period?

Unread post by Brian »

Idk if this matters, but we took Plan B last time we did anything about a month ago.
CaitlinEve
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by CaitlinEve »

Hello Brian!

Spotting before periods is common and often indicates that menstruation is starting. From how you described your sexual activity, I don't believe pregnancy is a concern at this time.
Brian
not a newbie

Unread post by Brian »

She spotted yesterday, and hasn’t today. She also didn’t experience cramps like yesterday. What does that mean?
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Brian,

We can't say for certain what these symptoms mean, because they can have a variety of causes. Since she's around when she expects her period, then she may be experiencing these as symptoms of that. Too, one of the side effects of Plan B is that it can lead to cycle irregularity, so she may also notice that her period arrives at a different time than she anticipated.

Really, if she's still anxious about this, it's time to take a pregnancy test, because that's the only way to get a definite answer to whether she's pregnant (as Cat said, it doesn't sound like there was a risk in the first place, but sometimes having that result staring you in the face can get rid of the remaining anxiety).
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
Brian
not a newbie

Unread post by Brian »

She’s out of town, so she’s unable to. It’s been two days now and she still hasn’t gotten it and im panicking
KierC
Awesomeness Quotient: I can and will reupholster anything
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by KierC »

Hey there Brian,

I hear your anxiety, but I want to reassure you that because it’s only been two days so far, her period technically isn’t late yet. A “normal” menstrual cycle can often vary by a few days, so this is still within a normal range. Too, as Cat said, it doesn’t seem like the activity you did poses a risk to pregnancy.

Would it be possible to get a pregnancy test after she gets back into town? In the meantime, though, I hear you that you’re panicking. Has someone here sent you this resource yet? It can help walk you through a bit of these anxieties, with strategies and resources for anxiety management. The Pregnancy Panic Companion

How does all of that sound?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic