Can I go to an HRT consultation if I’m unsure?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Jay27
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They/them
Sexual identity: Lesbian

Can I go to an HRT consultation if I’m unsure?

Unread post by Jay27 »

I’m probably some kind of nonbinary, maybe genderfluid. I just know I’m not a cis woman but I don’t want to be seen as a man either. I’ve seen videos of people who take very low doses of testosterone to look more androgynous and I’m interested. I’m not sure though because I don’t want to end up so masculine that people think I’m a cis man, and I don’t want facial hair or balding. I would like a deeper voice, more body hair, a less curvy figure, and bottom growth. I also live in an unsupportive environment and I don’t feel safe to come out to more than my partner and 2 close friends. Would it be okay if I went to my local planned parenthood to ask the nurse about HRT, even though I’m undecided? I feel like it might help to have a professional to talk to.
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Can I go to an HRT consultation if I’m unsure?

Unread post by Latha »

Hi there, Jay27!

Yes, you can see a healthcare provider to discuss HRT, even if you are not sure. It's a normal part of their job to provide information and answer questions. Some doctors/nurses can have a very specific view of transition should look like (eg. 'complete' transition to an 'opposite' gender) but there are many who will work with you to understand what you want from medical transition and help you achieve it.

Low-dose testosterone tends to provide more gradual and less noticeable effects, which could be helpful in your current environment. Here is our article on the subject for your reference: The Lowdown on Low-Dose Testosterone
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Can I go to an HRT consultation if I’m unsure?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Jay27,

In addition to what Latha said, I think you may also get some use out of this advice column we recently published: Wonderings About HRT
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic