is this a cause for concern?

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
axolotlperson
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my roller skate skills
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/they/he
Sexual identity: omnisexual

is this a cause for concern?

Unread post by axolotlperson »

so i saw an instagram comment today on a period related video, saying that getting blood clots on your period isn’t actually normal and that you should see a doctor if it’s happening. now i know instagram (and the internet in general) isn’t reliable, which is why i’m coming here. i get blood clots all. the. time. when i’m on my period, and i just assumed it was normal. at least one fairly big (like about the size of a quarter i’d say) blood clot slips out about every day that i’m on my period, and seeing that comment made me very nervous that something could be wrong. so, is what i saw misinformation, or do i need to talk to my doctor?
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: is this a cause for concern?

Unread post by Latha »

Hi Axolotlperson!

In many cases, getting blood clots during a period isn't a cause for concern. Clots may just be regular mentrual flow mixed with endometrial tissue or thick discharge. But sometimes blood clots can indicate a medical condition that needs attention. By your description, it does sound like these clots are a bit large and frequent. If I may ask, do you experience any other symptoms, like significant pain or heavy bleeding?
axolotlperson
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my roller skate skills
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/they/he
Sexual identity: omnisexual

Unread post by axolotlperson »

no pain aside from a few cramps here and there, but i do tend to have heavy flow near the middle of my period.
Andy
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Andy »

Hi there axolotlperson,

like Latha said, blood clots during period are relatively normal, they just mean the blood stayed in the uterus a bit longer before leaving it. But if we are worried about our bodies and health or when other symptoms like heavy flow are present (doctors usually define that as having to change a pad/tampon more often than every hour or two), it’s usually sound to check in with a healthcare provider about it.

Are you able to do that?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic