Advice on possibly switching birth control?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
PrincessLuLu
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: obsessed with big bang theory
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Advice on possibly switching birth control?

Unread post by PrincessLuLu »

Okay, so a response to my last post included suggestions on considering switching to a different birth control method (im currently on combination pill). My bf Clark* and I are somewhat sexually active (done sexual things just not anything that can cause pregnancy yet). I take pills every day havent missed one in a long time. But I'm in a human sexuality class at my college & was told that it's less effective when not taken at the same time every day. It's just not realistic to have an exact set time for me (it's usually in mornings when I wake up but I sleep in on weekends). There's a possibility we might not use condoms, if we discuss this & decide not to due to issues we're having with it. Anyways, my question is, if i were to choose a different hormonal method, how do I decide what would work well? I've heard that some more effective methods also have higher risks of side effects like bone mass loss & other serious problems. Also, some are more expensive, which is a potential issue cause my family insurance sucks. I'd greatly appreciate as much info as possible. Thanks
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Advice on possibly switching birth control?

Unread post by Karyn »

The pill can be less effective when it's taken at drastically different times each day, but as long as you take it around the same time (9 am one day and 6 am the next, for example) you're okay. However, if you'd feel more comfortable with something else, then there are plenty of options. Have you tried going through the b]Birth Control Bingo![/b] piece we have, to see which methods might be a better fit for you?

In terms of insurance, that's something to call your insurance provider about to see what they cover and what the cost would be for you.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic