Birth control question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Questionss
not a newbie

Birth control question

Unread post by Questionss »

Say you have diarrhea after taking your pills but have been consistent taking all the other pills, and never missed one. If i had sex that day, with or without a condom, would i be more at risk for pregnancy?
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth control question

Unread post by Johanna »

If you had a bout of diarrhea right after taking the pill (and by that, we mean real everything-going-straight-through-you diarrhea, not just some loose stools), you would probably do best to consider it missed, and then follow the instructions that came with your pill for making up a missed pill.

If you did not make up that missed pill, that may have lowered your protection a little, but if that was your only mess-up that cycle, you should still be in the typical use rate for the pill, which is 91% effective.

Either way, if you doubled-up with a condom, you do not need to be concerned. That is what using two methods is for, after all: so you have a second line of defense when the first method is compromised or fails.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Questionss
not a newbie

Unread post by Questionss »

Yea we did use a condom. And no it wasnt the all out thing you were talking about. So i should have good protection then right?
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Johanna »

If you backed up with condoms, you should be just fine!
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic