Breakthrough Bleeding

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
smile1234
not a newbie

Breakthrough Bleeding

Unread post by smile1234 »

Hi this is my first post on Scarletteen, but I have been using this website for sex education for a long time now. Thank you for this useful information!

I started a low estrogen birth control combination pill (Aubra) 2 weeks ago on the first day of my period.I have taken it every night at exactly 10:00 PM except for one night I took it at 10:30 PM. My period seemed to last longer than usual because there was about 2 days of extra spotting at the end that usually isn't there. Last week I had a day or two of spotting, but it was light. Yesterday, some heavier bleeding and PMS- like cramping started and instead of pinks streaks of blood in my usual vaginal discharge, dark red and brown blood was in my underwear. Today the bleeding has gotten even heavier, almost like a light period. I can use a panty liner to catch the blood and change it 1-2 times per day. I am sexually active and have been for about a month and a half but we have used a condom for every encounter, even with the pill, and none of them have broken.

Now that I'm finished writing a book, my question is- is this normal? I understand that breakthrough bleeding is fairly common, especially in the first few months but it just shocked me to see how much blood is actually coming out.

Thank you so much for your time :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Breakthrough Bleeding

Unread post by Heather »

Since you say it's only as heavy as a light period, I personally don't have any concerns about this. It seems most likely to just be a side effect of your pill.

That said, it is always okay to call into a prescribing physician with concerns about any kind of medication they have prescribed you, including contraceptives. Additionally, since you have been sexually active, if you haven't started STI screenings, I'd suggest you (and your partner) do that, period, but it also is a smart move anytime anyone is having unexplained vaginal or uterine bleeding.

So, if you'd feel better checking in with your healthcare provider, you might want to make that call, where you can also ask about testing if you like. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
smile1234
not a newbie

Hi Heather it's me again, I waited a few days to see if the bleeding has stopped but it has not yet. I am currently on day 4 and it is still continuing to bleed and I am also getting cramps. This feels like one of my periods, however my active pills are not finished until Sunday and it is Thursday. I'm freaking out a bit but I'm trying not to because bleeding is a common side effect. This morning I had a panty liner on and within 5 hours I had bled through it. I had clots in the blood (like a period) for the first 3 days of this heavier bleeding. I'm pretty tired these past two days and I've been hungry all week. Could this also be side effects from the pill? I started the pill on the first day of my period and I've used a condom every time I've had PIV, but there's a small voice in my head saying "you could be pregnant". Is this bleeding a sign of that? I apologize for the excess questions, Thank you so much for your help.
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Ashleah »

Hi Smile,

As Heather suggested you can check in with your healthcare provider if you have some concerns. We can't truly know what side effects medication will cause in each individual person! It can be different for everyone!

Are you feeling completely comfortable with the type of sex you are having? Does that small voice speak up a lot and have you feeling anxious about pregnancy?
smile1234
not a newbie

I got my Birth Control from Planned Parenthood, should I just call the office? I don't really know how this works haha. The first few weeks I had sex (PIV) I was extremel anxious about pregnancy because it was new, but after I got my period I wasn't worried at all and haven't been until this bleeding started.
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Ashleah »

Yes, you can give them a call and let them know you have questions about the meds prescribed to you or symptoms that you are experiencing.

A lot of times when people are having anxiety about pregnancy it's because they don't feel completely comfortable with the type of sex they are having. For some, it's not understanding how pregnancy does or does not occur, for others it's not being ready for the type of sex they are engaging in. Both are things we could discuss more.

Since this type of sex is somewhat new for you I wanted to share this link:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/relat ... _checklist

It's a great tool for those who haven't had sex but I think it's pretty great in general. Helpful for reflecting as well as outlining some of the important steps to stay physically (and emotionally) healthy! Getting comfortable with your sexual healthcare will be pretty important! So in addition to checking in about your symptoms or any other questions, STI screening is a good idea! So check out the article and let me know your thoughts or if you need any more resources moving forward :)
smile1234
not a newbie

Thank you so much for your help! The reason why I'm a bit paranoid about pregnancy is because my parents are very religious and have very clearly said what they think about girls who have sex before they are married. I do not share the same beliefs as my parents, however if I get pregnant then they'd find out that I'm doing something that they look down upon people for doing. I'm very comfortable with my boyfriend, physically and emotionally, I know I'm ready for sex. My biggest problem is that I've always had anxiety so sometimes it manifests itself in pregnancy fears. I'm seeing a therapist, however my parents made sure that the therapist had a religious affiliation so I don't really feel comfortable talking about sex with her.... I'm kind of scared that she'll tell my parents about me having sex.

I still am having bleeding for about a week now but it's gotten lighter. I've taken to wearing regular tampons and this bleeding feels like a lighter version of my period. I start my inactive pills tonight, is it possible I'll keep bleeding throughout the next week since it's my placebo week? Is there a chance I could get pregnant this week if withdrawal bleeding does not occur throughout the whole week? In the last week my breasts have definitely grown and in the past two days have gotten more tender, I've gained some weight too but that's due to increased appetite. I know that the first few months of the pill include pregnancy- like symptoms but the heavier bleeding that I've been experiencing would not indicate pregnancy correct? I have an awful Google addiction so I've read about bleeding still occurring during pregnancy and implantation bleeding etc. This was super long sorry! I don't really have anyone to talk to besides my boyfriend about this.... Thank you so much.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Before anything else, it sounds like you'd probably feel a lot better moving forward if:
a) You took any kind of sex that feels so emotionally scary for you off the table for now, or perhaps even until you no longer feel your parents values have such a big impact on your feelings with this OR
b) You made sure to always add condoms to the mix here -- which is mighty smart anyway -- rather than using the pill alone, if that's what you are doing.
c) You expanded your support system so that your boyfriend isn't the only person in your life you can talk to about your sexual life, which is ever a good idea: how about being honest with at least one close friend?
d) You took control of your own fingers and stopped with the Googling. Google "addiction" isn't a real thing. You can likely change your habits there all by yourself just by putting energy into doing so. If you feel you can't control yourself in that respect, then it's time to talk to a mental healthcare provider about issues with compulsive behaviour.

We can't make predictions about how people's bodies will behave with most things, including things like this. That is simply far outside our ability (and anyone's, for that matter). It's also really on you to calm yourself down after intentionally seeking out information or things that get you upset, okay? That's some pretty basic self-care there, and that's also just about not asking us to do for you what you really need to be doing for yourself.

If you are having the kinds of sex that can result in pregnancy, the answer will always be that pregnancy is possible. If you are using a method or methods of contraception, how possible that is depends on which method and how well you are using it. Do you need a link to fill you in on the level of effectiveness oral contraceptives provide?

Lastly, I would strongly suggest you ask this therapist what her confidentiality policies are. Honestly, if you can't be honest with a therapist, there is little point in seeing one, because that's ground zero of you being able to be helped by a therapist. And if, even after stating what you share with her is confidential you still don't trust her not to share information with your parents, then you either need to then talk to her about those feelings or switch to someone else you feel you can trust.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic