Meds and birth control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Questionss
not a newbie

Meds and birth control

Unread post by Questionss »

On 28 day birth control for 4 months.
Last time i had sex, which was with a condom, was apr 17, it is now apr 30th.
My last "period" ended on apr 14.
Today i took the 1st pill of the 3rd week.
Took my wisdom teeth out so i have been on amoxicillin since apr 23.
I took them 3 times a day. Today was my last day of those.
I noticed tonight that i was having some light bleeding. Im not sure yet if its just spotting or gonna be my period. Ill update that after.
But i have not experienced spotting while on birth control, anytime i had bleeding it turned out to be my "period"
So the chance of pregnancy is very low right?
And is it possible that it is the medication that could be causing this irregular bleeding or possibly an early period?
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Re: Meds and birth control

Unread post by Amanda »

Chance of pregnancy is low as long you have been taking your birth control pills correctly, or abstaining from activities that pose risk of pregnancy. Taking amoxicillin has no effect on pregnancy risk, and shouldn't have an effect on your withdrawal/breakthrough bleeding. However, bodies respond in sometimes unpredictable ways to a lot of different stimuli, like stress (from, I dunno, something like a major surgery!) or illness, so this could be contributing to your unusual bleeding. Doesn't seem like anything to worry about at this point. :) But with specific concerns like this, it's really best to check in with your doctor, since no one here is qualified to give personalized medical advice.
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Questionss
not a newbie

I know that there are many things that affect periods. But those are still the same even if youre on birth control? Cuz i thought birth control was meant to control your cycle. Also i have read on many sites that antibiotics,like amoxicillin may have an affect on birth control so i was just wondering why you say that there is none?
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Amanda »

Birth control does control your cycle.... using the same hormones your body naturally produces; so yes your body is still subject to the same kinds of fluctuations due to other systemic processes occurring in the body. Also, doctors believed for a long time (many still might, if they're not up to date!) that ALL antibiotics affected birth control efficacy, but new research has shown that almost none actually do.
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Questionss
not a newbie

Ok so im almost certain this is my period cuz the flow is getting much heavier. I know that bleeding starts during the placebo week cuz youre not taking pills. So could this mean my pills arent working effectively since i got my period at the beginning of the 3rd active pill week? I know that i have taken them all and within the same hour, but is there a chance it is somehow not working?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

It's not a rule that people using birth control pills will get their withdrawal bleeding when they start the placebo week. Some people will, some people just won't. So there's no reason to think your birth control is not working because of this. :)
Questionss
not a newbie

Ok im just making sure cuz i really dont want any accidents to happen. Also since i got my period this week would it be safe to skip the placebo week and just start a new pack?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Eddie C »

The placebo week is meant to give your body a break from the hormones. Some people skip it sometimes but really is not the best thing to do. Of course it is going to be up to you and what you want/need.
Questionss
not a newbie

Yea i wouldnt be doing it often. I was just thinking for like certain occasions. Because i have a vacation coming up so i was thinking about skipping the placebo week if it falls on that date
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Eddie C »

Just keep in mind that skipping the placebo week is not a guarantee that you won't get your withdrawal bleeding. I say this because it is mostly the reason why people do so.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic