Birth Control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
flyingmonkeys
Awesomeness Quotient: speak 3 languages
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: I'm straight

Birth Control

Unread post by flyingmonkeys »

is there a possible way to get birth control without parents knowing? and without using the insurance?
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth Control

Unread post by Johanna »

One option that you have is calling your insurance to find out what might show up on an insurance statement if you went to your regular ob/gyn for a prescription of birth control.

If you'd rather not use your parents' insurance at all either way you have the option of going to a clinic where you pay out of pocket. If you're in college, the campus health center would be your best bet, and the cost of going there is likely covered by your tuition. If you are not in college, you'll want to look online for your nearest communiy clinic or Planned Parenthood.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Yep! You can get almost any method of contraception without parental permission (I lived in Minnesota for six years, btw, say hello to it for me!). You also have options beyond insurance to fund it.

Would you like me to help you find a clinic near you? You've got some great teen clinics in MN. If so, mind filling me in on what city you're in?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
flyingmonkeys
Awesomeness Quotient: speak 3 languages
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: I'm straight

Unread post by flyingmonkeys »

yes please! I live in Mound, MN.
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Johanna »

So your closest Planned Parenthood is in Eden Prairie, you can find all the info on that here: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health ... 3376-90720

I realize that may be a little far, depending on whether you have access to a car, so I'll make sure that Heather takes another look and lets you know if she knows of any other options for you in your area.

ETA: So I checked back with Heather, and she recommends the Annex Teen Clinic. Here is their website: http://annexteenclinic.org/.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic