When to have unprotected Sex?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
asi

When to have unprotected Sex?

Unread post by asi »

I am on my third pill from the BC Trinessa. So that means I took it on Friday. My boyfriend comes to visit me tomorrow and I'm wondering is it okay to have unprotected sex? (Pulling out.) I know they recommend to take the pill that Sunday after your menstrual cycle but I have extremely bad irregular cycles so I wouldn't know when that is. Taking it on a random day and starting from there, would that affect it in anyway? When should we have unprotected sex?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: When to have unprotected Sex?

Unread post by Heather »

Since you started it mid-cycle, you should figure that you can only absolutely count on the full level of effectiveness your pill can offer after one full cycle of using pills.

As well, don't forget that only condoms offer both of you protection against STIs and other kinds of infections (which are just as common, and sometimes even more, in the age group of our users as unintended pregnancies are). So, if you're going to engage in sexual activities, like intercourse, that pose high infection risks and want to use a backup method with your pill -- be it only now before it's fully effective, or afterwards -- we strongly suggest picking condoms as that second method, especially if you and your partner have not a) been sexually exclusive for at least six months, and b) have not both had a full STI panel done after that six month time period, with negative results.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
asi

Unread post by asi »

one full cycle of the pill, is one week? Or the whole month worth of It?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

One full pack, which for most pills, is around one month.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
asi

Unread post by asi »

Got it! Thank you.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

No problem! :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic