IUD strings

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
dushka14

IUD strings

Unread post by dushka14 »

Hello,

So after talking with my dr about anxiety over pregnancy fears, I decided to get an IUD, and it was inserted today. I was really nauseous, lightheaded, and crampy afterwards and was in no position to try to feel for it in the office though so the nurse didn't show me how to feel for the strings, and just explained it to me instead and gave me some of the strings as an example of what to feel for. Now at home, I can't feel them! She said sometimes they curve up around the cervix and the doctor said he has never had a patient that has had it move, but shouldn't I still be able to find them? I have a follow up in few weeks, and plan to use condoms on top of the IUD anyways, but just curious what normal experience is.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: IUD strings

Unread post by Mo »

It's likely that you aren't feeling the string either because of the curving your nurse mentioned, or because her explanation didn't explain the process of checking as much as the physical demonstration would have. I'd give it another day or two of trying on your own, and if you still can't feel the strings at that point you could call the doctor's office to see if they think you should come back in for a quick re-check before your next appointment. It does take some folks a little time or experimentation to get used to checking the strings so I don't think this is particularly worrisome, though. :)
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Re: IUD strings

Unread post by Amanda »

I have an IUD and I've found that the best position for checking the strings is squatting on the floor (feet flat, hips/butt below knees), which effectively shortens the distance between the vaginal opening and the cervix. My strings barely poke out past my cervix, so if I reach into my vagina standing up my fingers are not even long enough to reach them.

Hope this helps!
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic