Did the condom work?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
emily20
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Female

Did the condom work?

Unread post by emily20 »

I had sex on 6/17 with a condom plus the withdrawl method. I'm fairly certain it put on correctly, (space left at the tip, base was held when pulling out, etc.) and when we inspected it afterwards there were no breakages or leaks and all the sperm seemed to stay in the condom. Does this mean that the condom was effective in preventing pregnancy?
taylor_alyse
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: What's not awesome??
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Re: Did the condom work?

Unread post by taylor_alyse »

Hello emily20!

Have you seen this article? http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexua ... ers_manual
Might have some tips that are new to you :)

From what you've described, sounds like you used the condom correctly and thus would be effective in preventing pregnancy :) Did you look at the expiration date on the package of the condom? That is important. Also, using lube is helpful for both pleasure purposes and ensuring the condom doesn't get too dry, which is a common cause of rippage.

Also, for future supplies, have you been to our safer sex shop? There is a variety of high quality safer sex condoms & other safer sex health helpers with a 40% discount for Scarleteen users! The quality of the condom is important in effectively preventing pregnancy; also, it can be fun & empowering to explore a bit and find the condoms/barriers, etc. that work and feel the best for you :) http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexua ... ers_manual
Nothing happens in the "real" unless it first happens in the images in our heads -Gloria Anzaldúa
emily20
not a newbie

Unread post by emily20 »

So if there was a defect in the condom like a hole or tear, it would be obvious right?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

Yes. If and when a condom breaks it would be absolutely noticeable. Like when a balloon pops. :)
emily20
not a newbie

Unread post by emily20 »

So that would mean I'm in the clear for pregnancy right? Also, it's said that condoms are 98% effective with perfect use, the remaning 2% failures would be things like tearing and slippage, correct?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

Just to be clear, there's no method a 100% effective against pregnancy. That said, it sounds like the condom you used did its work. If and when a condom fails, it could because it broke, slipped or some other human error like not using enough lube, etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic