Birth control pill and plan b

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Christy0227
not a newbie

Birth control pill and plan b

Unread post by Christy0227 »

Hello. I would like to start using birth control pills as soon as possible but the problem is I took plan B a week ago. Since plan b contains a high level of hormones would that be okay for me to take birth control pills one week after the usage of plan b??? Thanks
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Birth control pill and plan b

Unread post by Heather »

So, Plan B actually doesn't contain a "high level of hormones." That's a bit of mythology people seemed to pass around (which pretty clearly came from the group of people who don't support any use of contraception, so tend to invent myths and misinformation like this, or like condoms having holes in them, and then do what they can to get people to believe it so they won't use contraception) that stuck for some.

It doesn't contain any estrogen at all, for starters, only progestin, and is the equivalent of less than a week's worth of the mini-pill (which is also only progestin).

Unless you have a health issue that anyone is concerned with, or higher risk factors with use of birth control pills (like being a smoker), it should be perfectly safe for you to start oral contraceptives after using Plan B. You can rest assured that unless you didn't tell the physician prescribing birth control pills for you that you used Plan B, they'd have been sure to let you know if there was any reason for you not to start taking the pills you have been prescribed.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Christy0227
not a newbie

Unread post by Christy0227 »

Thanks for such a quick reply. I haven't been using any birth control except condoms lately and the birth control pills that I got were prescribed a few months earlier so I didn't get to consult a doctor about starting birth control pills after plan b. I was worried because last year I took plan b and i got no period for about half a year so I thought plan B was pretty strong. Thanks again for clearing things up...!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

That change in your cycles for so long was not at all likely due to Plan B. In other words, the timing there was most likely coincidence, especially since suppression of cycles isn't associated with Plan B.

But when you get this pill prescription filled, you can of course check in with the pharmacist filling them if you like, just to get a second opinion.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic