UTI

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Dolly68
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Her
Sexual identity: Straight

UTI

Unread post by Dolly68 »

Hi, I suspect I have a UTI. I went to the doctor and have a urine sample and am waiting on the lab results. In the meantime over the weekend I started feeling a little better. I drank a lot and its in its way out I think. I still have some pain after the bathroom but nothing in comparison to what it was. Today I had sex/orgasmed. Did I put myself in any Danger?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: UTI

Unread post by Eddie C »

If you have a UTI, it is better if you just avoid sex until you are clear from the infection. So maybe moving forward this is what you want to do. Good luck at the doctor and hope you feel better soon! :)
Dolly68
not a newbie

Unread post by Dolly68 »

Ok moving forward I will avoid it until I know I'm clear. Do you think I could have made the situation any worse though? Is it dangerous Im any way?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

The risk when you keep having sex when you have an infection is that your partner can pass it back again to you which makes harder to clear definitely the infection. You can mention to your doctor this and they will know if it is necessary to treat your partner as well. :)
Dolly68
not a newbie

Unread post by Dolly68 »

I never though of that. Thanks for informing me. Would manual sex be ok and safe to do during the period of time till its cleared?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

A UTI is actually not an infection that can be passed back and forth between partners (pretty much everything else can, but not UTIs). It's caused by bacteria getting into the urethra, which can happen as a result of sex, but it isn't contagious, so you don't need to worry about giving it to your partner. Having any kind of sex - including manual sex - while you're still being treated for the infection isn't dangerous, but it can be uncomfortable and can irritate tissue that's already irritated from infection, so it's a good idea hold off on sex until you've finished your medication.

We actually have an article on UTIs if you want more info on what causes them and how to prevent them in the future: Out, Out Damn UTI!
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Dolly68
not a newbie

Unread post by Dolly68 »

Ok so better to stay away till I feel better. I will read the article. Thanks so much for explaining it all. I appreciate it.
Dolly68
not a newbie

Unread post by Dolly68 »

The doctor said it is a UTI. He gave me antibiotics. I know there's a lot of talk about antibiotics and the pill losing effectiveness. What's the real deal on that? How long after do I need to double up on protection? Do the antibiotics stay in your system for awhile? Once you get a period and start a new cycle is it a fresh start and can rely on the pill again?
Dolly68
not a newbie

Unread post by Dolly68 »

I just keep reading such conflicting things on the Internet. Does it matter exactly which antibiotic I'm on? Hope you can clarify it for me!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

How about doing yourself a solid and recognizing that if what you're reading is that conflicting and is confusing you than a) you're probably not researching well (most people don't have medical research skills who don't work in healthcare), and b) you're just looking in the wrong place.

Your doctor or pharmacist is who to ask about concerns with conflicting medications. That said, if they gave you the UTI treatment knowing you use the pill, they already checked that for you, and you can rest assured that were there an issue, they would have told you so.

Ideally, though, if you're not using condoms with your pill, particularly given how often you worry about pregnancy -- and the fact that they can help prevent bacterial infections like UTIs -- how about you start that as a regular habit?

I do have to go ahead and set a limit with you about posts with pregnancy scares and concerns today. As our user registration agreement makes clear, we do that when a user has posted three or more times with pregnancy scares. We're happy to talk with you about other things, moving forward, but starting now, we need to hold that limit and ask you to respect it, so no more pregnancy concern posts from here on out. Thanks.

I also need to ask that you please have a conversation with your prescribing physician about your pill, rather than bringing so many pill questions here. If you feel like you have questions about a medication -- any, including contraception -- you have been prescribed, your doctor is the right person to bring them to. And if you just do not feel confident using the pill -- and given the kinds of questions you've asked about it during your time here, I'd say my sense is you don't -- then the conversation to have with them may be about your other contraception options to see if you can find a method you feel more confident in.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic