Painful Intercourse and Safety on Pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
KoreyA

Painful Intercourse and Safety on Pill

Unread post by KoreyA »

Hello,

I am asking on behalf of my girlfriend. We have recently had intercourse, it was our first time and she found it extremely painful. We have tried a few more times, slowly, and every time she finds it very very painful, to the point where she does not enjoy it at all, and there isn't much... movement. She would like to know if its normal to hurt the first few times, or if there could be a more serious issue? She is also on the pill (combination), and we want to be very safe, as we are only 20 years old, and we would both like to know if the risk throughout the cycle is the same, or if there are days in the cycle that are riskier? I believe the pill basically removes the cycle, or something of that matter, but any help would be appreciated. Also, I saw on an article here on scarleteen that combining contraceptive methods can actually hinder the safety if the combination is not good, and I would like to know if the pill, combined with a condom and withdrawal is a safe combination?

Thank You! :D
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Painful Intercourse and Safety on Pill

Unread post by Heather »

I don't know of anywhere here we say that combining more than one method hinders the safety of methods: quite the opposite! We DO mention combinations that are not possible or safe, but that's specific, not general, like, for instance, making clear that using an IUD with a cervical cap is not recommended.

We list dual methods here, and do NOT pair methods in this piece where it isn't safe or recommended. If you see two methods paired in that piece, as you will for most, you can presume they're safe to combine: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method.

In terms of your partner's pain, can you pass this piece over to her: From OW! to WOW! Demystifying Painful Intercourse? If she goes through that, or you do together, you'll probably be able to find some things that might be the why of her pain and some helps or troubleshoots that can change that. If you have questions about anything in that piece, or questions about what's going on with you two this brings up, give a shout!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
KoreyA

Unread post by KoreyA »

Thank you Heather, we will read through that and will post again if we have any further questions. Just to reiterate, the pills effectiveness is constant throughout the cycle is that correct? Even in the week she does not take it every month?

Thank you.
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

Yes, that's correct: the pill provides the same level of effectiveness throughout the whole cycle (provided it's taken correctly, of course). You can find the whys of that in How do birth control pills really work, even during the placebo period?
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic