What's the next step?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
MissT
not a newbie

What's the next step?

Unread post by MissT »

hello there,

In the beginning of June me and my boyfriend has intercourse. We used protection (condoms) which didn't break and he did not ejaculate.

I expected my period the 1/2 week of July and have not had one
I have been extremely worried I am pregnant and have taken to clear blue tests. I took one 3 weeks after the last sexual encounter and another 4 weeks after both tests came put negative.

I'm here to ask is their any chance I could still be pregnant or can I be 100% that is not the reason I am.missing a period.

That's my next question could there be any reason I haven't had one this month and what are my next steps? I'm 19 and am really freaking out I could be pregnant any help would be appreciated so so much!!

Kindest regards!
taylor_alyse
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: What's not awesome??
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Re: What's the next step?

Unread post by taylor_alyse »

Hello MissT,

First off, welcome to Scarleteen!

If you have taken a pregnancy test--or two--after a missed period & more than two weeks after the possible risk, it is correct. You can trust the results.
(Here is more about that: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/pregn ... ancy_tests)

There is a myriad of reasons why your period could be late and/or skipped. Bodies are all different and cycles often change, due to stress, weight change, athletic activity, hormonal changes (getting off the pill, taking emergency contraception, etc). This article explains it pretty well : http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodie ... _my_period

Is anxiety about pregnancy scares something you have experienced before or experience often?
Nothing happens in the "real" unless it first happens in the images in our heads -Gloria Anzaldúa
MissT
not a newbie

Unread post by MissT »

I can say I have been worried about pregnancy scares before - it's not something I experience often but that may be because I haven't had a pregnancy scare for a long while as I have always come on my period when I've expected it.

As for my missed period do I just wait until it comes??

Thank you so much for your quick response
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Yep, that's really the only thing to do at this point; sometimes periods are late, as that link Taylor posted discusses, for reasons we can't necessarily know at the time. You have the negative test results so you can know that whatever the reason is, pregnancy's been ruled out.
MissT
not a newbie

Unread post by MissT »

Hello,

Sorry to bother you again. It's been it's been two whole months and I've had no sign of my period. I have called my doctors and requested a doctor's to call me.

After speaking to him on the phone he said there seems like nothing is wrong and I only need an appointment when I have missed my period for 6months.

I'm just a little bit worried something could be wrong. From reading online I've seen that missed periods could be theriod conditions hyperprolactinaema, Hypothalamic amenorrhoea and Polycystic ovary syndrome.

I know you wouldn't be able to Say if I have any of these I was just wondering are other symptoms associated with the above issues.

It's just on the phone soon as I said I was under a little stress epically as I hadn't come on it just seems he asked if I had any pains or weight Loss then said I'm fine. I just don't want to leave it for 6months and if something could be potentially wrong
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I think your doctor gave you sound advice. Generally, it's advised that only after missing periods for three months or more does someone need to seek out healthcare to make sure there's nothing amiss.

I'd suggest that something you don't do is go rotting around online as someone without a medical education looking at health conditions that can cause missed periods. You probably lack the skills to really do that research well -- it's actually harder than it seems to do right -- and you also likely lack the training and education to figure out if any of those conditions actually are likely for you based on way more than one issue, the missing periods. A person could have, say, a headache, and wind up finding that they could have everything from a cold to cancer that way, when, in fact, they just have a headache.

That said, if you feel like you'd feel better seeing a healthcare provider, you can make a general appointment for a checkup with your current provider or by going into an NHS walk-in clinic, if you prefer. It's always okay to go and get a checkup when we feel like we need one.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
MissT
not a newbie

Unread post by MissT »

I fully understand the above maybe I put it a little wrong I just meant if someone oer say was wrong would I have other symptoms? Other than just not having my period or would this sort of thing go Un noticed?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

If your only health concern is your absent period, it's much more likely to be no big deal than it is to be any serious issue. Like Heather said, the advice is to ask a healthcare provider about it only after your period has been missing for a whole three months.

It sounds like you're having some ongoing concerns about this. Feeling worried about an aspect of our health is also a good reason to see a healthcare provider in-person, so we can stop feeling worried. Do you feel like you'd like to see someone in-person, just to put your mind at ease?
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
MissT
not a newbie

Unread post by MissT »

It's been three months nearly now but when I spoke to my health care provider on phone about the appointment they said there's no need until it's been 6months Without a period unless I have any serious pains.

I was just a little concerned that if there was to be something serious wrong leaving it six months could be bad? I just wouldn't want it to be something serious that could like cause any serious issues with my body.
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer

A healthcare provder isn't going to ask you to wait and see how things go for another 3 months if they have any reason to think that it might endanger your health.

Did you ask your doctor that question?
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
MissT
not a newbie

Unread post by MissT »

Hi sorry as I can see I've been worried for months now as I have not had a period in 4 months - I've finally got the courage and have booked a doctor's appointment for tomorrow.

As I said previously - I've been a little worried about pcos - I'm hoping from going the doctors tomorrow and telling them how Ive been feeling will help.

I was wondering can a blood test detect pcos?

I know I shouldn't self diagnosed I just got really upset as I know it can cause further illnesses and can give people trouble when you want to become pregnant.

I've heard that excess body hair is a symptom - I do have hair on my belly, boobs (around nipple), lip although it's not what I would call really bad since I've been very paranoid

Anyhow my main question Is when I go to my appointment tomorrow can I insist they give me a blood test? and can a blood test detect pcos or any other causes for a missed period?

Sorry last question heard online they can prescribe a tablet that induces your period? Is that true and in what time frame would u have to go without one for them to give u this option?

Thanks ever so much!
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer

As you're worrying, I think seeing a doctor is a great idea. I think telling them how you've been feeling and what you're worrying about is also a really good plan. I'd advise against insisting on any one particular course of action, though, because the doctor should know best what the most appropriate and helpful way of proceeding is. Instead, you can simply tell them that you're very concerned, you're wondering if PCOS might be the issue, and ask them to start investigating the cause of the symptoms you have.

Here's the NHS's information on PCOS diagnosis: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Polycystic ... nosis.aspx
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

Sometimes progesterone treatment - taking progesterone for a period of time and then stopping - is used to induce a period, but it depends on what the cause for missing periods is in the first place. As Redskies said, the best thing you can do is talk to your doctor, describe all the symptoms you're having in as much detail as possible, and let them do their job: they'll order whatever tests they think are necessary and prescribe whatever treatment (if any) they think is appropriate. Remember too that if you're not clear on why they're doing certain tests, it's absolutely okay to ask them to explain things to you.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
MissT
not a newbie

Unread post by MissT »

Hiya - really want little advice?

As you may know I went doctors my blood test came back clear and so did my pelvic exam. And I also got my period after around 4 months time of it having gone missing.

Basically it's been 5 weeks now since my last one and still nothing? I wanted to know is this usual? Like after it having not been here for 4 months should I expect it to take a little while to be regular/on time again?

I feel like I've had symptoms and I'm pretty such I've ovulated ( although I cannot be certain on that as I do not take all the appropriate measures)

Sorry for being a pain - thanks
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Well, you already know now from the last bunch of months how unpredictable periods can be! So, there's just no predicting what your cycles are going to be like now. Generally, any time you have a major cycle change or break to a previous pattern like this, I'd say you want to figure all bets are off for a while, and you're just going to have to give things at least a few months to get any sense of what your cycles will be like now.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic