Burning, birth control, brownish blood

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
JCf316
not a newbie

Burning, birth control, brownish blood

Unread post by JCf316 »

Hey guys!
Okay, so my "period" came today I think, but I have a few questions about it.
1) I'm having vaginal burning and have been experiencing this for about 2 days. This usually happens to me a few days before and until the end of my period, is this normal?
2) My "period" blood is brownish red, kind of gooey like discharge, and hasn't made a mark on my pad, it's just when I wipe. Is this just my period starting, or is something wrong? Both of these things have happened before, but it just seems more "severe" or prominent this month.
3) Could it be my birth control causing this? I've read that bc pills can cause lighter or even skipped periods.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Burning, birth control, brownish blood

Unread post by Heather »

Are you current with your STI testing since you first started experiencing that burning with periods?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
JCf316
not a newbie

Unread post by JCf316 »

I've never been tested, but it only happens during my period and I've never had sex or even naked genital contact.
JCf316
not a newbie

Unread post by JCf316 »

I thought it could just be a ph thing since this only happens while I'm on my period...
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Well, you said it also happens before, but the vagina does get drier just before and during a period, so that could be it, too. But ultimately, the right person to ask about this is someone who can examine you: a healthcare provider.

It is also normal for menstrual flow to be a range of colors: not just red, but brownish is also common. Gooier discharge, or drier discharge, is also common.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
JCf316
not a newbie

Unread post by JCf316 »

Hey! :) So the burning/discharge went away after the 1st day of my withdrawal bleed and by the 2nd day my flow was as heavy and pain free as usual! (Thank God)
I just had one more question to ask. For future reference, does a withdrawal bleed mean you're not pregnant? I know they aren't "true" periods because an egg isn't supposed to be present, so I guess I'm just confused because it's not really a period. Could you be pregnant and still have a withdrawal bleed?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Nope, it's the same scoop when it comes to pregnancy. Just like the first noticeable thing for most pregnant people is a missed period, the same goes for withdrawal bleeds.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic