Career Path????

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
noa99
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her pronouns
Sexual identity: questioning

Career Path????

Post by noa99 »

This isn't exactly a sex ed question, but I thought some of you lovely people at Scarleteen might have some insight on this.

So I'm a high school senior and I'm starting to think about my career path. I know it's still early and I don't have to know what I want to do quite yet, but I'm already 99.99% sure I want to do something with psychology. I also know I'm really passionate about transgender issues, sexuality issues, and sexual education. I think it would be cool to become a clinical psychologist with a focus on gender therapy, but I was wondering if you maybe had some ideas of other ways I could combine my interests?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Career Path????

Post by Sam W »

Hi noa99,

I think that depends on what your own strengths and interests are. There is definitely a need for folks in the counseling world who are knowledgeable about trans issues or who specialize in helping trans or gender non-conforming folks. So that's definitely an area to explore. I would also say that there are many activist and advocacy organizations (like 40 to none, which is trying to eradicate LGBTQA youth homelessness, or Gender Spectrum, which focuses on schools) that you could become involved with on some level. So, a good starting question might be: do you want to work more with individuals or with organizations?

I might also give this piece of ours a read, if you haven't had a chance to yet (the question was referring more to being a sex educator, but much of the advice is equally applicable to what you want to do).

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advic ... _i_do_that
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic