withdrawl bleed MIA

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
kittykakes6

withdrawl bleed MIA

Unread post by kittykakes6 »

I usually take my birth control 3 months at a time back to back. I think I added an extra month making it four months back to back. My last withdrawl bleed was very light and now it hasn't been here at all. I haven't missed a pill and usually take them within an hour difference. The most I've been late is 3 hours. I've also only had sex 3 times since my last bleed. No illness or antibiotics.

I'm very worried about pregnancy, my boyfriend doesn't think I should freak out just yet. I don't understand how I could possibly be pregnant.
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: withdrawl bleed MIA

Unread post by Ashleah »

Hi Kittykakes,

Just want to make sure that I have this right. Did you miss your last withdrawal bleed or was it lighter than usual?
kittykakes6

I missed my most recent this past week. My last one before this (four continous packs ago was very light)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Okay.

So, no one method of birth control is 100% effective, so anytime you're having the kind of sex -- namely, intercourse -- that presents pregnancy risks, that is always possible. However, if you didn't take any pills late or miss any, it certainly would be highly unlikely.

Personally, if the pill is your only method, I'd go ahead and take a pregnancy test just in case. If it's negative, then what's most likely here is that the continuous use you've been doing may now be resulting in you skipping periods sometimes entirely, which is a thing that can happen.

Just FYI, though, unless your healthcare provider has okayed it, studies on continuous use we have so far only support it as being safe so long as a person has at least four withdrawal breaks in a year, so isn't doing any more than three packs back-to-back in a row. Doing more back to back than that could present additional health risks.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
kittykakes6

Thank you. It's just so confusing to find the right information when it comes to continuous use pills. I don't understand how I'd ovulate if I never missed a day or took them super late.

I also have thyroid problems and my doctor said that can mess with my cycle but I've never not had a bit of bleeding.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic