EC question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
coupdetat
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: im awesome
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him

EC question

Unread post by coupdetat »

Goodmorning!

I have some question regarding EC, last friday I had unprotected sex, it was not that long.. only a brief one, two or three strokes at most and it was not deep.. my concern is there I might have sperm in my pre-cum..

After the incident, 5 hours after, the girl im with took EC (postinor-2) it came with two pills.. she took the first pill 5hours after the unprotected sex and 12 hours later for the second pill..

my questions are.. is she covered from pregnancy? does EC work after the girl already ovulate? and what is the possible mode of failure for EC?

her cycle usually 33 to 35 days long, and we had this encounter on her 12th day, and we used condom in every encounter after the incident that she took the EC.. how likely for pregnancy to happen here? and does EC offer protection if she took the pill today, and we have protected sex the next day (with condom)?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: EC question

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, coupdetat.

Here you can have all the scoop about EC and how it works: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexua ... traception

If and when someone takes Emergency Contraception they do it to get protection for a risk that already happened. Taking EC won't protect you for future risks. Because there's no contraceptive method a 100% efficientt, taking a pregnancy test after a couple of weeks advisable.
coupdetat
not a newbie

Hello again!

I have read the article many times already, and from it I was able to pull out some information that are not clear for me.

It says that, the main mechanism of EC is to prevent ovulation.. and there were studies that indicate it is less effective if the girl has already ovulate? is this true?

Or are there any other mechanisms to prevent pregnancy after the girl already ovulate? and is it proven?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

If you finish that exact sentence you will see that it says it also helps to prevent fertilization, which is why the time window to take it is only 5 days.
coupdetat
not a newbie

ohhh, okay..

I guess someone at ec.princeton.edu might write something not accurate in their website.. stating that EC only effective before the girl ovulate
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

So, here's the thing: emergency contraception, used within 24 hours, is around 95% effective. If it were only effective before ovulation, we couldn't have a figure like that, because that'd mean that for half of every month, basically, it wasn't effective for people who used it.

I think you've perhaps misunderstood what you've read at the Princeton site, but really, I'd say that even thinking like this isn't useful. Unless your partner charts her fertility daily, has for some time, and knows how to interpret that data, you can't know about her fertility cycle in regards to ovulation anyway. Plus, at this point, this is out of your hands because it's not about your body anymore, it's about hers.

What YOU can do is not have sex unprotected moving forward, and make sure that you have condoms and always use them. That IS something about your body that is in your control when it comes to the prevention of pregnancy (and infections). You know, from your posting history here, that you feel very uncomfortable with a possible pregnancy. So, if you are going to be sexual with partners, and you don't want to take risks of pregnancy, you'll need to only engage in the kind of activity that doesn't pose those risks. Or, if you feel comfortable with a tiny bit of risk, and want to have those kinds of sex, you'll need to do so using methods of contraception -- like condoms -- at the time.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic