Fingernail / Pregnancy

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
hoopdizzle16
Awesomeness Quotient: humility
Primary language: english
Pronouns: he
Sexual identity: straight

Fingernail / Pregnancy

Unread post by hoopdizzle16 »

Hello,

I work in construction- specifically I work on making sure that renovated units are ready to be turned over to the owner. Part of my job is to clean tubs of debris. Simultaneously, my wife and I have been trying to get pregnant for 2 months now and successfully achieved a miracle!

so here is my scenario that I'm worried about:

A worker or the like lets off stress in unoccupied area before I get in the unit. I come in say, worst case scenario, right after, and clean the tub and get it on my hands and under fingernails (as I'm scrubbing). I wash my hands once or twice after, come home and shower quickly, have dinner, and then make love with my wife (finger stimulation for her as just my member does not achieve this alone). Is it possible that the sperm can survive under my fingernails just enough to catch a ride on my guys (as we were obviously trying to get pregnant) and instead impregnated my wife? very weird, and I know that there are similar questions on here but I just want some confirmation one way or the other if I should worry. Im just so excited and I want to live in this moment worry free. thank you in advance.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Fingernail / Pregnancy

Unread post by Heather »

This is not, at all, how human reproduction could possibly or does work. If it was, the human race would have loooooooong died out by now from a level of overpopulation I can't even visualize, and I'm a pretty imaginative cat. :)

Here's how it can: Human Reproduction: A Seafarer's Guide.

Congratulations about your wife's pregnancy you're so excited about! :D
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
hoopdizzle16

That's what my wife was saying. My mind has a way of overthinking things. I know sex ed.. but it's anxiety that asks the questions, however ridiculous they might sound. So there is no way it could live under my fingernails? (I know you can't give absolutes, but close to absolutes are a thing).
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

It's VERY common for a new pregnancy -- including for the person who isn't themselves pregnant -- to trigger a lot of anxiety, or make an existing anxiety disorder worse. So, if this has been or is at any time a struggle for you, I'd encourage you to seek out some support (support groups are often available at hospitals or community centers for expectant parents) and/or mental healthcare.

From the timing, I'm guessing you haven't yet read the link I gave you, which again, explains how pregnancy actually happens. If it's facts about this you need, they're all right there, which is why I picked that one for you. :) Sperm cells aren't and don't work like viruses, living under or on surfaces and then causing pregnancy. The link I gave you can educate you on how human reproduction DOES happen.

If it's not facts, but a lot of reassurance around your irrational fears or anxieties, that's not something we will do: it's not a sound way to address anxiety, self-care and qualified mental healthcare is, and we can't provide either of those things here. If anxiety is what is asking the questions, we're not the right people to bring them to, a mental healthcare provider is, and/or you are, as the person who needs to manage your anxiety.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
hoopdizzle16

Ok. Well I know that at the end of the day, science is what prevails- and if that says that it isn't possible.. it isn't possible. You know? I just like the facts behind it- which I just read, thank you. I also like to have my situation evaluated on a case basis- as i did above, instead of just reading "similar" stories. I might look into some sort of help or look into yoga or meditative things. It's good to know anxiety is common. Thank you for your prompt replies and help. I appreciate them.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Sure! Yoga and meditation are both great tools to help people with anxiety and stress management. Specifically, you might want to look into mindfulness (meditation has a lot to do with mindfulness) expressly *for* anxiety -- if you go to a bookseller search engine, you'll find a handful of good books/guides for just that.

But if you can find an expectant parent supports group, that would also be great. Not only is it often the perfect kind of support, it also gets you started with relationships with other parents, which is great for you and any kids from here on out, not just when you're freaking out. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic