I don't feel safe on the bus. Help

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Bananasplit8
Awesomeness Quotient: My mind
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She her
Sexual identity: Cis female

I don't feel safe on the bus. Help

Unread post by Bananasplit8 »

I take the public bus to school but I am scared to now. There's a creepy man on the bus who hits on me every day and last time he kissed me and made sexual comments. I don't want to be around him but I still need to get to school! I am worried if I take the bus on the first day of school he will rape me. What can I do? I don't want to stay away from school. But I also don't want to be molested.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: I don't feel safe on the bus. Help

Unread post by Heather »

Anytime a passenger on the bus is harassing you (or anyone else), what you want to do is tell the bus driver.

So, next time you get on the bus, if you see him, stand by the bus driver until you pull away from the stop, then just quietly tell the driver there is another passenger who has sexually harassed you and kissed you against your will. You can also stay standing or, if there's a seat, just stay sitting or standing up front by the driver until the situation is resolved.

Long story short: part of everyone's civil rights include safety on public transit. We just have to take some small steps to get it addressed if and when it happens.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic