Things are looking like they might turn into a relationship, how can I make sure it's a healthy one?

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
moonlight
volunteer in training
Awesomeness Quotient: I do improv as often as possible.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Things are looking like they might turn into a relationship, how can I make sure it's a healthy one?

Unread post by moonlight »

Hello everyone!

Those of you who have been around since the old boards might remember that I had one particularly unhealthy relationship in which my boyfriend became emotionally dependent on me. Since then I've had one major relationship, which quite frankly was ill-advised because of a major language barrier that meant we couldn't communicate properly.

Now I find myself in a rather wonderful situation where a new friendship might be heading in the direction of a relationship. Before I even let myself ask her out or tell her how I feel, however, I want to make sure that I don't get into another emotionally dependent or otherwise unhealthy relationship.

But I just don't know what I need to do (or avoid) to ensure that the relationship with S, whatever it turns out to be, stays healthy.

I don't even know where to start with what to tell you.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Things are looking like they might turn into a relationship, how can I make sure it's a healthy one?

Unread post by Sam W »

HI Moonlight,

Glad to hear you're having pleasant feelings about this relationship. In terms of how to build a healthy relationship. there are a few articles that might be really helpful:
Hello, Sailor! How to Build, Board and Navigate a Healthy Relationship
Supermodel: Creating & Nurturing Your Own Best Relationship Models

There's also these articles, which are great for checking up on a relationship:
Potholes & Dead Ends: Relationship Roadblocks to Look Out For
Does Your Relationship Need a Checkup?

It's worth noting that even with all those resources, a relationship could still have some issues or become toxic. But being deliberate about building a healthy relationship is still a really great baseline to set.
moonlight
volunteer in training
Awesomeness Quotient: I do improv as often as possible.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them

Re: Things are looking like they might turn into a relationship, how can I make sure it's a healthy one?

Unread post by moonlight »

Thanks for all the articles Sam, I'll take a look.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic