Ella (EC) and periods

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Jasslyn
Pronouns: She

Ella (EC) and periods

Unread post by Jasslyn »

I had potential risks on 20 september (night) and 21 September (noon) and took Ella (emergency contraceptive) on 22 September morning. My last period was on 11 August and i was expecting it to come on around 23 September. It is usually 42 to 44 days cycle. It’s now 2 October but still no period and multiple pregnancy tests have been negative.

I wonder if Ella can cause such a huge delay in periods even though I read that most people have no change in their cycles despite taking EC? I am now about 10 days late. Is that normal? I am not sure if I should be seeing a doctor or something because I still do not have any signs or symptoms of my period. Any advice would be appreciated.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Ella (EC) and periods

Unread post by Heather »

Hey there, Jasslyn.

Since you already tested and got negative results, it seems pretty likely your cycles are just wonky either because of the EC, because of unmanaged/increased stress around all this (which is pretty common), or just because. Cycles will sometimes shift and change on their own, so it could be that's happening now very coincidentally.

I don't see any reason to see a healthcare provider, since it doesn't sound like anything is wrong for them to look into. having a late or skipped period now and then is common and normal. But if you'd feel better doing so and you have access, you certainly can see one anyway!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic