I got my withdrawal bleed yet I'm worried about pregnancy

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
seuniemonki
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

I got my withdrawal bleed yet I'm worried about pregnancy

Unread post by seuniemonki »

I had PIV on June 25th and relied on the combo pill (taken at the same time daily, no missed doses since I started) and the withdrawal method. On June 26 I began to get what I assumed were PMS symptoms and on July 3rd, I got my expected withdrawal bleed. However, these PMS symptoms have persisted, them being: persistent headache, dull cramping, mood swings and increased appetite. I'm afraid these are pregnancy symptoms all along and I don't know what to do besides take a test (which I already bought). But even then, how can I know it won't be a false negative? Not sure if this will help but I also have endometriosis symptoms according to my gynecologist and I've been on the pill since February 2023. I need advice urgently ! :cry:
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: I got my withdrawal bleed yet I'm worried about pregnancy

Unread post by Latha »

Hello there, Seuniemonki- welcome to the boards!

Getting a withdrawal bleed is a pretty good indication that you're not pregnant. Too, those symptoms that you mentioned are also side effects of taking the combined pill itself. I'd say taking a pregnancy test is a good idea, especially if the additional data will alleviate your concerns.

That's a good question about false negatives- false negatives are very unlikely when the test is stored/taken properly. Considering the fact that you've also had withdrawal bleeding, I think you can feel confident about a negative test result.
seuniemonki
not a newbie

Thank you so much! Another question though, do the symptoms I mentioned go away eventually because they came up so abruptly which is why I was afraid it was pregnancy symptoms or is it due to the stress I have from being afraid of pregnancy xD?
Logan W
Awesomeness Quotient: I play roller derby and love to skate outside!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: Lesbian, queer, demiromantic

Unread post by Logan W »

Hi seuniemonki!

I hope it's okay that I'm jumping in here. The symptoms you mentioned could be a combination of stress and your body adjusting to the pill. Endometriosis symptoms can also be at play here. They might go away as stress alleviates and your body adjusts. But I would also recommend that if they are concerning you (or not going away) to give your doctor a call and discuss your symptoms. They definitely would have better insight.
seuniemonki
not a newbie

Thank you! I was waiting until I got my tests to reply. So I tested twice approx. 19 days later and both were negative. I tested again 27 days later and negative as well. I'm supposed to get my period next week and the symptoms I've mentioned have subsided with time so I should pretty much be in the clear correct?
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi seuniemonki,

Yep, as long as you took the tests according to the directions about when and how to test, you can assume those results are accurate!
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic