Period Symptom Fluctuation

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Period Symptom Fluctuation

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi All,

I'm making this space for folks to talk about their periods and the variations they've seen in them over the years. Something we see a lot is people becoming worried because their period doesn't behave in the way they're expecting it to, so having a place where they can see others talking about that variation as no big deal might be helpful.

As an aside, this is not a place for the "I am having x symptom, does that mean I'm pregnant/sick/ect."

For me, the place where I see the most variation in my period is on the first day. I pretty much always have cramps of some kind, but they can be super mild one month and the next month feel like my uterus is trying to gnaw it's way out of my body. I also tend to get hot flashes a few nights before it starts, but not always.

What about you all? Where do you tend to see variations?
Berry124
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Personality
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her, they/them
Sexual identity: 'straight', heterosexual

Re: Period Symptom Fluctuation

Unread post by Berry124 »

I too get quite a bit of variation and have had since starting when I was 13, four years ago. The time length of how long a period lasts is what has really had variation as when I first started, I used to have red bleeding for ten days pretty heavy. When I hit 15 that went down to 7_9 days and 7 when I was 16. When I was 16 nearly 17 and am now 17 my periods now vary between 4-6 days bleeding.

I too get hot flushes when I wake up in the mornings about a week to four days before a period starts and that has just recently happened since four months ago so thats variation too. With cramping, I never used to get it ever, then when I was nearing 17 it started before and during a period and even then its mostly just before a period and only occasionally during a period. I also get breast tenderness up to a week before a period starts andtghat too just started when I was 16 1/2 and unfortinatly is getting worse as im older now.

Variation is mainly with cramping although I get variation in many parts except the heaviness of a period which stays pretty average to me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic