Advice and help on Tampons (I know nothing about them :/ )

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
Berry124
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Personality
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her, they/them
Sexual identity: 'straight', heterosexual

Re: Advice and help on Tampons (I know nothing about them :/

Unread post by Berry124 »

I need a bit of help with tampons again, and have a few questions. I'm sorry if this is really tmi but if a whole finger can be easily fit up into the vagina, than would my hymen most likely be worn away or whatever the term is and it would be ok to use tampons in terms of it fitting up there(again sorry if this is tmi) ? Is it normal to feel weird when the tampon is placed into the vagina? It feels unusual and for some reason I am really nervous about using tampons incase I hurt myself, is that even possible to hurt yourself with a tampon? Also I got regular flow tampons and I normally get fairly heavy bleeds, with birth control they have so far lasted six days of literally constant bleeding then stopping, so is it a ok choice choose regulars for a first time? Thankyou
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

If someone has menstrual flow, we know their hymen has at least started wearing away, because without some openings in it, flow could not come out of the vagina. And if someone has had their period for at least a few years, we also know they're far enough along in puberty for much of the hymen to likely be worn away by now. And if you or someone else can put a finger in there easily, you know a tampon, too, can be inserted. Tampons are not usually bigger than fingers.

Hymenal tissue is VERY stretchy, and also doesn't really have nerve endings, so even if and when someone does still have some of the hymen, they can usually still use tampons.

How anything feels in the vagina will tend to vary amoung people, just like how something feels in the hands or mouth will. I also can't know what you mean by "feel weird," and can't speak to "unusual," either, because those are both terms that are really subjective, so I can't know what you mean by them specifically. But if this is about a fear, know that it's safe for you to put your own fingers or a tampon, or anything safe, into your own vagina. It's not like it's somehow only okay or safe if and when someone else is doing that.

Tampons do pose some health risks, but those are mostly accounted for by just using them properly, namely, changing them often.

What size you find works for you is for you to find out by experimenting, and seeing what works. But in general, what's advised is for those using tampons to pick the lightest absorbency they can, one that, when changed every few hours, seems to be enough to manage your flow.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Berry124
not a newbie

Would the hymen still have some nerve endings? When I try to put tampons in i feel them hit something and if i angle it to the left theres nothing. I used a mirror which had a light attached to it and had a look down there at myself(apologies if that sounds weird) as i never have seen myself in that area before and ive noticed the external parts, the labia etc and noticed a pink coloured piece of flesh over just a bit less that half the opening, I Know it was about half the opening as I could see the inside parts of the vagina, so I am guessing this is the hymen but im not sure as I saw a smaller hole further back beside the piece of flesh but then I got confused. However I compared the size of my opening and the tampons I had and they are just too big for me, all the ones I have tried so far and I cant use them. I dont know if im what you would say normal or in this case as its my body average because I can't seem to use tampons and I get a bit of discomfort whenever somethings placed into my vagina. For me to insert something without pain It would have to be very thin and that frustrates me as all tampons I have tried are just too big. Im not sure what to do because pads lead to irritation and discomfort. Makes me feel behind compared to all my friends who can use them and some of them are younger than me and find it easy.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

The hymen doesn't have many nerve endings to begin with, as I think I already explained. The tissue it is attached to does, but the hymen itself really doesn't.

If you're feeling like you are hitting something with a tampon, that is likely either your vaginal walls -- some people forget the vagina is at an angle, not straight forward -- or your cervix.

Tampons don't really come in sizes: they come in absorbencies. And the vaginal opening is flexible, at least as flexible -- and usually far more so -- as the width of a tampon. Are you using a lubricant when you are trying?

Tampons aren't about being "advanced" or not, so I'd suggest you try and stop viewing them like some kind of achievement or mark of maturity. All they are is one of several options people can use to manage menstrual flow, none of those options any more mature or immature than the rest. We just figure out what works for us, and then that's what we use. If it helps to have some personal feedback, I can use any method for my flow, and I freaking hate tampons even though I can use them just fine, and they are the last thing, of all the options, I want to use. I only ever use them in the rare event when no other option is available to me. And I'm middle-age and run an organization as well as have a very rich life, so I'm pretty sure my maturity is not in question. :P

If you are finding tampons and disposable pads aren't a good fit for you, I'd say the next thing to try are washable pads. Because they aren't treated with the chemicals disposable pads are, and are made of very soft fabrics, people who get irritation from disposable pads often find the same is not true with washables.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Berry124
not a newbie

Oh ok, I'm not sure it is the cervix as the tampon doesn't even get half in but maybe it's the walls like you said I just need practice as what ever angle I do doesn't seem to work very well so far and I get discomfort from anything being placed into the vagina. I just wanted to try tampons as it makes it more convenient such as when doing sports but I guess I have been feeling sort of 'left out ' and I shouldn't I tend to feel llike an odd one out compared to others in general. I have read on here about washable pads and saw some in a shop so I may try those if they are very absorbent.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Right, but when a person isn't aroused, the cervix tends to sit very low in the vaginal canal, sometimes only an inch or less from the opening. And again, if you're not using lube, that's likely a big part of what you may need, unless it just turns out that you are someone, or right now in life, where tampons are not for you, particularly since you express that having anything inside your vagina isn't comfortable for you. Once more: all of this has zip to do with maturity. Different strokes, different folks. That's all choices with what we use for menstrual flow are about.

Washable pads are typically more absorbent than disposables, and you can also use them when being active.
Berry124
not a newbie

Oh, if it was a inch in the vagina then would you even be able.to.use tampons because aren't tampons more than a inch long typically? Just wish I could use them,would make dancing when on your period easier(I found dance lessons that suit me and now have a hobby again to relieve anxiety! :) )and I still get quit heavy flow.during my bleeds, although they used to he alot heavier before starting the pill. They sound good, I may get some.just to wear at home or when going to he'd during my bleeds to see if I like them :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic