BCP Question

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Pumpkin99
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: smiles
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

BCP Question

Unread post by Pumpkin99 »

Hi,

Ive posted before about my queries on EC. I now know im not pregnant and im starting BCP.
The one they have prescribed is cerelle which doesn't necessarily give you a withdrawal bleed which as you know is something that will worry me i.e has it worked.
If you have a withdrawal bleed to prove its working why wasn't the withdrawal bleed after emergency contraception classed as evidence that it had worked?
Is shedding of the lining the same?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: BCP Question

Unread post by Heather »

Did you tell them that you are someone who worries without flow? If not, that's something to share, so that you can work with a provider to find the pill most likely to be a good fit for you. If you didn't, how about calling in now and letting them know that?

Withdrawal bleeds don't "prove" the pill is working: not becoming pregnant is the only "proof" of that there is. Same goes with EC or any method.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Pumpkin99
not a newbie

Yes I did but because I have high blood pressure he said this was the best one for me. He said the bleeding can be very irregular and you might possibly not have periods but not to worry about it but I know I will. I suppose I always thought the withdrawal was evidence of it being effective and if you didn't bleed then you need to check.
Pumpkin99
not a newbie

How would you know if you had become pregnant or would you need to just trust it?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

You would miss that withdrawal bleed. You guys also often tend to forget that for most people, within a month or two of pregnancy, they know they are pregnant. It's not like it feels like nothing to start having the most massive changes to your body you'll probably experience in all of life. :P

Too, don't forget: if you are using the pill AND a second method, like condoms, we have the data to know that is the most effective way to prevent pregnancy, and that combination gets a person about as close to 100% protection as possible. That's based on sound science and study, so by all means, you can trust that.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Pumpkin99
not a newbie

Yes I know. Im back to reading all those stories about people not knowing they were pregnant until they were five months :|
But, im working on it!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

So, seems you then need to get back to working on choosing your media more carefully again, especially since that's such an easy thing you can do to care for yourself and self-manage your anxiety.

You know, one easy thing that can help you with that is to go into whatever browser you use and just block your own access to those sites. That way, even if you mess up and try to go to them, you won't be able to.
Pumpkin99
not a newbie

I will do that. Thanks Heather.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Sure thing. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic