New pill pack, took pill late

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Worried12

New pill pack, took pill late

Unread post by Worried12 »

I have been taking kurvelo oral birth control pills for over a year now and right now I am about 5 days Into the first week of a new pill pack. This morning my alarm didn't go off so I ended up taking my pill two and a half hours late. I had sex two days ago and I have read that if it's the first week of a new pill pack that you have to use a backup form of bc. Is this true? It's not like I missed my pill completely so shouldn't I still be protected? If I do need to use another form of bc for 7 days am I still protected from the sex I had two days ago since sperm can last inside the body for a few days?
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Re: New pill pack, took pill late

Unread post by Amanda »

Hi Worried,

The backup method recommendation pertains to the first week of being on hormonal contraceptives, not the first week of every new pack. A backup barrier method like condoms is always a good idea though, for protection against STIs and for extra peace of mind if you're the type to worry about pregnancy. Since Kurvelo is a combination progestin/estrogen pill, taking it at exactly the same time every day is not imperative. While it's a good habit to be in, taking it a few hours late once in a while will not impact the effectiveness.

Hope this helps!
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Worried12

Unread post by Worried12 »

Thanks that helps a lot! All my questions were answered :)
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Amanda »

You're welcome, glad I could help!
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic