Tampons -- how???

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
shyfox
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Queer, lesbian

Tampons -- how???

Unread post by shyfox »

I feel really ridiculous discussing this, but I cannot for the life of me insert a tampon.

I have tried both on my period and without (I know it's supposed to be easier during because the flow will lubricate). I have used the Scarleteen search function and read the info about periods. I have looked on many reputable websites and know to do things like put your leg up on something and have the tampon tilted slightly.

I've tried using a mirror and looking, though it's really hard to tell where one part starts and the other begins. That's embarrassing, actually, given the amount of biology I've studied...

When I have gotten the thing where I think it's supposed to be, all I feel is pain and pulling. I know they aren't supposed to hurt if inserted properly, but the only way I feel comfortable is to remove the thing.

I've used the smallest size available and still had the same issue. I actually can't get a fingertip in most times, even.

I know it's not that big a deal and that many people just use pads. It would be nice to be able to have the choice to use a tampon if I wanted to, though.

Is there anything I'm missing and inadvertently creating my own problem?

Any suggestions on how I can handle this would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

shyfox
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Tampons -- how???

Unread post by Johanna »

So, to start with, not everyone finds tampons comfortable to use. So not being able to use tampons doesn't mean there is anything wrong - plenty of people feel more comfortable with options such as pads or menstrual cups. However, since you are saying that you also have trouble with insertion in general, that's worth looking into more closely. When you say you 'can't' get a fingertip in, does that mean that you experience pain? Also, have you started your gynecological check-ups yet?
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
shyfox
not a newbie

Unread post by shyfox »

Hi Johanna,

Thanks for getting back to me. :)

Yes, I do experience pain.

I have had a check up a few years ago for my own peace of mind, though I have never had a sexual partner (and I'm including sex in every way that the word is meant/used). It was really painful and I felt rather stupid for asking for it since my doctor said I didn't really need it, but I just felt like I would be doing a better job taking care of myself and making sure everything was okay ahead of time.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Have you tired it when first putting some lubricant around your vaginal opening and/or on the top of the tampon? That often makes a big difference for a lot of folks. Tampons, after all, are a dry wad of fabric, which is not such a great fit with the sensitive tissue of the vaginal opening and canal. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
shyfox
not a newbie

Unread post by shyfox »

Thanks, Heather.

Hmm... would Vaseline work or is that a not-okay thing to put on a tampon?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Vaseline or other petroleum products should not be used vaginally.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
shyfox
not a newbie

Unread post by shyfox »

Got it. Thanks, Heather. I knew that condoms break down if you put certain things on them but couldn't remember if Vaseline was safe to use in non-condom situations.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic