Getting Tested: Experiences and Tips

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Getting Tested: Experiences and Tips

Unread post by Sam W »

Here at Scarleteen, we're always encouraging folks to get regular STI testing done. But it's not uncommon for users to be hesitant about getting tested, often because they fear the experiences will be scary or shameful. So, I wanted to make a space for folks to discuss their experiences with STI testing. If you've been tested, was it a good experience or a bad one? If it was bad, what do you think would have made it less so? And do you have any tips about how to make the experience less stressful if you're anxious about it?

For me, I was lucky that my college offered low cost screenings for the more common STIs, so the process was easy to schedule and pay for. Once I graduated, Planned Parenthood has been my go to. So when I go, I know I'm in a space where I won't be judged. I will say that my one piece of advice is to make sure you know which STIs you're being screened for, just so you can be more informed about your status.
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English

Re: Getting Tested: Experiences and Tips

Unread post by Johanna »

For anyone interesting on hearing more about other peoples' experiences with testing, you can also check out our blog series "Testing Diaries": http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/allie_r/ ... ries_allie
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
soft_masc
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes are different colours
Pronouns: He/him
Sexual identity: Polysexual

Unread post by soft_masc »

I've gotten 4 rounds of testing and I was super anxious because a) I hate urine tests and b) I was terrified of the vaginal swab because I am a sexual assault survivor and I have to take sedatives for pelvic exams. I was so relieved when my lovely doctor gave me quick instructions on using a vaginal swab and let me do it myself! I would absolutely recommend that for anyone with a vagina. On the recommendation of my doctor, I have not had a pap smear yet, and I will probably need a sedative for that. I wouldn't call any of my STI screenings good experiences, but I feel more comfortable knowing my status and I'm glad I've done them.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

soft_masc, I'm glad your doctor was able to work with you so you could do your own swab and have a less stressful testing experience.

I had a full screening last year as part of my annual exam, and it just meant I had to urinate in a cup and that I had some extra blood drawn at that visit; I already needed to have some taken for other tests.
The clinic I go to doesn't make a big deal when I ask for tests, but I know they specifically are trying to educate patients about safer sex practices and encourage folks who are sexually active to get tested regularly. I've not been shamed by a doctor for requesting testing (although one tried to lecture me about using condoms right after I'd told him I was using them, so I'm not sure what his problem was).
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Sexual identity: fluid

Unread post by Onionpie »

In my city, I've had a particular experience with FULL screens being difficult to access, despite public healthcare meaning the costs of a test are completely covered. With my previous doctor, I would ask for a full screen every year and she would say "yup, no problem," but I was never made to do a blood test. So basically, she was actually only testing me for the most common STIs, not a FULL screening. I checked around with the local sexual health clinics, including that at my university, and all of them only test for the STIs that you are at risk for -- so in my case, that would not be that many. But I wanted to have a full screening anyway, but they wouldn't provide that.

This past summer, my family doctor retired and my new one was all "let's test you for everything under the sun including every single STI possible, just because why not!" It meant I got a lot of blood drawn at once (eugh), but I finally got a full screening done. Whee!!

I think it's the fact that STI testing is covered by our provincial health, so doctors are unwilling to spend all the money doing lots of tests, maybe? So they'd rather only test for the ones you're most at risk for? I dunno, but it made it surprisingly difficult to get the best healthcare possible in such a haven of great healthcare.
antbear

Unread post by antbear »

not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm thinking of getting tested soon and wanted some advice. I'm out to my parents as lesbian, and they don't understand that you can still get STDs, so it's a conversation I really don't want to have with them--I plan on going by myself or with a friend. I can get to a planned parenthood near me, but I'm not sure how much it will cost since I'm 17 and don't want to ask my parents for my insurance info. I'm also sort of curious to get someone's take on how necessary this is. I've had unprotected oral sex with 4 female bodied people and 1 male bodied person. I've never had symptoms of anything and the only reason I'm thinking about it is because I'm in a new relationship and want to be super responsible. How should I go about this?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi antbear,

I think it's very sound to get tested, as STIs can be transmitted via oral sex. And, some of the more common STIs don't always show symptoms. So getting tested is a good idea (as is using protection for oral sex with your new partner). As for the cost, your best bet is to call the Planned Parenthood you're planning to go to ahead of time and ask them about your payment options.
antbear

Unread post by antbear »

ok thanks! i actually had a chat with my mom because it was pretty expensive to go alone, but if my partner (female bodied) has never had sex before and I'm clear after testing, do we still have to use protection? I honestly really don't like the way dental dams feel. What kind of risk is there?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Glad the chat went well! If you're partner has never had any kind of sex, and you get a full screening that comes out clear, then more likely than not you're in the clear. However, you might want to give this article a read in terms of some of the risks that might still be present:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advic ... ave_an_std
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic