Trusting Birth Control Pills

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
MigueLMichaeL
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I dont know
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Him
Sexual identity: Pansexual

Trusting Birth Control Pills

Unread post by MigueLMichaeL »

Hello! My girlfriend is about to start her third pack of the pill and recently I've been having troubles with trusting it as a form of contraception. I've been wondering, what are the chances of her getting period while on the pill? She hasn't missed a pill since day 1, starter her second pack a day earlier and I've discussed with her what kind of medications she needs to avoid. But from what I've seen there is still a very small chance of her getting pregnant, is there a way to avoid being the one percent?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Trusting Birth Control Pills

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi MigueLMichaeL,

If you want to reduce the chances of pregnancy while on the pill as much as possible, something you can do is backup with pill by using a condom. Combining the two methods is very, very effective, and you can read more about that here: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method.

If you're having trouble trusting the pill, have you seen this article: Have a Little Faith in BC? It address some of the reasons people struggle to trust birth control and offers advice on how to manage those worries.
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic