Normal withdrawal bleed?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Hakunamatata15
not a newbie

Normal withdrawal bleed?

Unread post by Hakunamatata15 »

Hi, I started taking the pill two months ago. I'm on my placebo week and on the 4th day, I got what I assumed was my period. However, it was very light and it stopped after a few hours. I have previously had spotting and discharge throughout my first cycle, but I can't remember what my first period on the pill was like though I think it was fairly light and short (maybe a couple of days). I recently became sexually active with my boyfriend but we use the pill and condoms correctly and consistently. Would this count as a normal period or have I missed one?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Normal withdrawal bleed?

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello, hakunamatata. Welcome to the boards! :)

As I was telling another user with a question similar to yours, our bodies are not machines so they won't always react the same way. Exercise, diet and sleeping patterns can and will affect people's cycles. Two months under Birth Control is very new and bodies need more time to adjust. Is not that uncommon for people taking the pill to have variations in their withdrawal bleeding. Also, one side effect of the pill is that it can make periods lighter and sometimes shorter.

If you take your pill as it was prescribed and also used condoms successfully, you are very well protected. But in any case you are still worried about pregnancy you can always test if you think that would make you feel better. :)
Hakunamatata15
not a newbie

Thank you very much! That's a huge relief :) so technically I haven't missed a period then?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Eddie C »

Not a "period whisperer" here, if you know what I mean. :)

I can't tell you if that was your period or not but what I can tell is that -- especially under birth control -- is not that uncommon for periods to be lighter, shorter or even skipped.
Hakunamatata15
not a newbie

Ok thank you :) I feel better knowing that it's likely normal
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Eddie C »

You're very welcome! :)
Hakunamatata15
not a newbie

Hi, sorry one last thing. I'm pretty confident now that this was a normal withdrawal bleed but I have a doctor's appt tomorrow morning and I'm really anxious about it. Do you have any tips on how to deal? I have a history of anxiety and my parents can't know I'm sexually active so that's probably why I'm a little freaked out
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Let the doctor know you are an anxious patient when you go in, or, better still, let the receptionist know when you come in and ask her to leave a note about it on your chart for the healthcare providers.

Most doctors know have some training and education to work with that, and will do things that will help you feel more comfortable.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Hakunamatata15
not a newbie

Hi, I just wanted to thank you for your help :) I went to the doctor's this morning and all the tests came back negative so I'm all good! Hopefully I will be able to feel more relaxed about sex now that I know my methods are reliable
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic