Abuse and Assault

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Brave1
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My inner strength.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Abuse and Assault

Unread post by Brave1 »

I am a newbie, thus I am posting here instead of in the correct forum.
I am wondering what others do on the difficult nights when it is impossible to sleep. I just survived an all-nighter, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Abuse and Assault

Unread post by Redskies »

Welcome to Scarleteen, Brave1.

If I can't sleep because my brain is stuck in some traumatic thoughts or feelings, I go for gentle distraction. Things that are enough to occupy the mind but not demanding, and that are pleasant and safe-feeling. For me, that's maybe some children's or YA books, or an interesting but laid-back game.

Have you seen people's thoughts on this thread: http://www.scarleteen.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=184 ? It might have more of what you're looking for.

Have you had any trained support around the abuse/assault? Developing more tools to deal with the intrusion into sleep is usually really helpful in the long-run, as is having somewhere to process what happened and how we feel, as and when we're ready.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Brave1
not a newbie

Unread post by Brave1 »

Yes, I do have a trained therapist who specializes in trauma. We are working on the sleep issue, among other things. But having suggestions from others is helpful as well. Thanks for the link.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Can I ask what you do so far, and what you find does and does not work for you? And are you currently using any sleep medications?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Brave1
not a newbie

Unread post by Brave1 »

No, I do not take any sleep meds. I am on an antidepressant. It helps a lot; before I started it a couple years ago, I couldn't sleep at all.
My counselor is certified in EMDR and has had quite advanced experience with it. It helps a lot. But when memories come up really fast and all at once, it is hard on the nights between therapy sessions.

Here is what works for me:
• Journaling
• Drawing
• Weaving
• Dogs
• Naming objects in the room (this helps me ground myself when I am having severe symptoms).
• Telling myself it is OK, that I am safe.
• Heatpacks placed on my abdomen or chest (especially helpful when I feel like I cannot breathe)
• Leaving the light on

Sometimes snuggling with a stuffed animal or favorite blanket helps, but sometimes I don't want to be touched, so it doesn't work. Talking with a friend sometimes helps, but not always, since none of my close friends have suffered abuse. It is hard when people do not understand my pain. Sometimes screaming into a pillow can help.

What doesn't help:
• Overeating
• Picking at my skin
• Beating myself up
• Staring into space
• Leaving my body
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Can I ask if you've talked about trying a sleep medication, even if just to kind of get you back in the groove of a sleep pattern?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Brave1
not a newbie

Unread post by Brave1 »

I have not. My sleep disturbances are infrequent. They are usually abated by talking with my therapist about what is bothering me.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Perhaps, then, especially since they are not frequent, your next step -- or one option, anyway -- is to talk with them about trying a sleep medication when nothing else is working to see if it helps? It' very common for abuse and assault survivors to struggle with sleep, and prescription sleep medications are often offered to survivors as one helper.
Brave1
not a newbie

Unread post by Brave1 »

I will think about that. I am strongly considering a service dog, as I have a couple diagnosed mental disorders that cause disabilities. Do you know anyone who has had success with a service dog?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I do, quite a few people, actually! Not for sleep issues - where any animal new to an environment may be a disruption to sleep more than a help, I would think -- but in general.
Brave1
not a newbie

Unread post by Brave1 »

I am considering a service dog for many reasons. I dissociate quite often. It poses a danger, because I have at times stepped out into the street and nearly been hit by a car!
The reason I think a dog would help me sleep is because when I cannot sleep, it is because I am so distressed that I have lost touch with what is real. A dog could provide the reality check I need,as well as calming support.

How did the people you know find their dogs?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic