The Shaving FAQ

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: fluid

The Shaving FAQ

Unread post by Onionpie »

The Definitive End to Shaving Threads (A Shaving FAQ)

Q: Do men prefer a woman who removes all of her pubic hair?
A: There is no YES/NO answer to this question. Why? Because everyone wants something different, so it's just not fair and not right to say there is only one way to approach pubic hair. Besides, this question forgets about the men who aren't attracted to women at all, and the women who *are* attracted to women. Let's play fair, shall we?

Q: Do I have to shave my pubic hair? Leg hair? Armpit hair?
A: NO. You can if you want, but there's no rule that you have to shave. It's your hair, so you get to decide what to do with it.

Q: What ways are there to remove hair?
A: Well, if you must remove hair, here are the most common options:
Shaving
Waxing
Electrolysis
Laser hair removal
and to a lesser degree:
Plucking
Threading

Q: What are some pros and cons of each method?
A: Shaving is cheap and easy to do yourself. But beware of itchy regrowth, stubble, nicks (especially if you try to shave your genitals!). And you have to do it every few days to keep up. Waxing can be done at home, or in a salon. It's better to have a professional wax you first, cost will vary. Waxing can be a little bit on the painful side. The results last for about 4 weeks, but to do it again, you need about a half centimeter (quarter inch) of regrowth. Waxing can result in some ingrown hairs.Electrolysis can be expensive and require several sessions to remove all hair, but it's permanent. Laser hair removal can be done in one session, but it is more expensive than electrolysis. Both electrolysis and laser hair removal can be a bit painful. Plucking and threading remove hair strand by strand by pulling it out at the root. It hurts less than waxing, but is best for only small areas -- plucking an entire leg would take a very long time.

Q: So how much time should I spend on upkeep? How often do I need to shave or wax?
A:You spend as much time on it as you want, unless it's cutting into your sleep or study time. If you want it bald, you're oging ot have to shave every few days. If you don't mind a "buzzcut" sort of look, then you can get away with letting it go for two weeks or so. So it's totally up to you.

Q: I'm getting red bumps over the places where I shaved! What are they? What do I do?
A: Sounds like irritation and ingrown hairs. You can soothe them with lotion for now, maybe a warm compress. Prevent them with gentle exfoliation (loofah, terrycloth, scrubby wash). Try not to pop the bumps. Popping can lead to infection and scarring or dark discoloration.

Q: I have hair in some odd places (back, around my nipples, arms, belly, buttcrack, or wherever). Is this abnormal?
A: "Actually, it's normal to have hair all over your body. While general body hair on women tends to be finer than pubic hair, it's still there" - Miz S. Here are places you will generally not find hair: the very tip of the penis (though a little on the shaft isn't that unusual), eyelids, palms of hands and soles of feet and the inside of your arms. If the hairs still bother you, you can pluck or wax them.

Q: If women shave their pubic hair, should men do it, too?
A: Only if you really want to. Some people prefer their partners shave. Others don't. So if you really need to get your partner's input on this, then ask. But ultimately, it's your hair. You can shave, trim, or style it if you want. Pubic grooming says nothing about your sexual orientation, it's just a personal preference.
(Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl on the old boards here: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimat ... 03629.html)
vb_42
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: The Shaving FAQ

Unread post by vb_42 »

What's the best way to SHAVE all of the hair off around the penis/balls. I always have little stubble that isn't too noticeable, but is still there.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: The Shaving FAQ

Unread post by Mo »

Alas, stubble is generally going to happen, especially in hard-to-reach areas. Keep in mind that most people will also have stubble very shortly after shaving, no matter how close of a shave they can manage, because hair grows back fairly quickly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic