Emergency contraception

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Sara1992

Emergency contraception

Unread post by Sara1992 »

Hi, thank you very much for this space. English its not my native language so I apologyze in advance for my bad english!

A few weeks ago I took levonorgestrel as emergency contraception. Five days later I bled so I tought it was my period and that exact day I started my old birth control method (I decided to "rest" of it for about 4 months, when the condom broke), which is a shot... I think it is not more available in the US. It´s call Mesigyna and you must start it the first day of your period, just as many other birth control methods, such as pills. But unlike DEPO, this is a monthly shot.
But, two weeks after getting the shot I bled again... and I´m not sure if that was my real period or if it was because of the shot (it´s normal that after getting Mesigyna you bleed within 2 weeks or so).
I took a pregnancy test after 3 weeks of levonorgestrel and it came negative.
So, my question is, ¿am I protected by the birth control shot?
Thank you very much.

Sara
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Emergency contraception

Unread post by Johanna »

Both taking EC and starting birth control can cause irregular bleeding, so an irregular period at this point isn't really a cause for concern. Birth control injections are fairly foolproof - as long as you get your shots as scheduled, you can rely on the protection. So, I don't see a reason why you should not be protected by the shot.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic