question about the birth control pill and how the cycle work

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
mish1990

question about the birth control pill and how the cycle work

Unread post by mish1990 »

Hello !

I have a question that I've searched all around the Internet for but cannot find a solid answer. I'll try and word it as clearly as possible.

I am on Brenda-35 ED bcp, I was wondering, whilst on the birth control pill, if ovulation does happen and the egg is fertilised close to the time of expected withdrawal bleed & the bleed comes on time, will that fertilised egg be flushed out with the bleed? My main reason for the question is - I have been wondering lately if it is possible for a fertilised egg to hold on whilst a bleed happen and to implant in the next cycle or if a withdrawal bleed happen even just days after the risk is that it ? Or is it possible for that risk to cause pregnancy in the next cycle ? Hope I'm making sense !!
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: question about the birth control pill and how the cycle

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, mish. Welcome to Scarleteen. :)

The pill works in 3 ways: Preventing ovulation, making thicker the cervical mucus so sperm cells cannot travel to the cervix, and making the uterus a very hostile place for an egg to implant. They do this 3 things just to back up if one of them fails.

But if and when an egg is fertilised then the person with the uterus will stop having periods. Pregnant people do not bleed. And no, an egg won't stay wandering until the next cycle waiting to get implanted. They are not that patient, believe me.

Here's a link for you so you can read more about how the pill works: http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control ... ation_pill
mish1990

Unread post by mish1990 »

Hello ! Thankyou so much for your quick and thorough reply :)

Just a quick follow up question to gain some clarity - say an egg does get fertilised (by a slim chance, I know lol) and it starts moving down the Fallopian tubes towards the uterus for implantation. Once it reaches the uterus, if the bleed has finished does that mean that egg will just get flushed out ?

So there's no chance for a risk in one cycle to cause pregnancy in the next ? Even if the withdrawal bleed came only 3-5 days after risk?

Thankyou for helping me clarify.
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

A period is a sign pregnancy didn't happen. Pregnant people do NOT have periods. That's the answer you need.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic