Is it possible to get STIs from toilets?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
SlightConcern
not a newbie

Is it possible to get STIs from toilets?

Unread post by SlightConcern »

This may be a silly question, but is it possible to get STIs from toilets? In my situation I went to a youth clinic to do a urine test(to test for STIs), so I went to the bathroom. After awkwardly trying to find a position to pee(ended up taking of my pants and underwear to try and make it easier for myself), I ended up sitting like this: the toilet seat was up(silly me, I think I was too nervous to notice and sat down anyways(so it's the bare toilet without seat)), and I sat in a way where I was able to put a cup(using my hand to hold the cup) under my vagina to ensure that the pee would go into the cup. I believe my butt and a part of my thighs were the only things exposed to the toilet(meaning no direct contact with my genital region). I asked my boyfriend if anyone else had been there recently and he said he didn't think so other than him, but does that change the outcome? Is it possible when I put my underwear back on that it could have spread to my genital area? Or am I just being paranoid? What if there was direct contact with the toilet and my genital region? In my situation, do you think it would be possible that I would get STIs? In the case that if it is possible, should I go back and get tested once more?
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: Is it possible to get STIs from toilets?

Unread post by Ashleah »

Hi SlightConcern,

First, it's great to hear you got tested! Way to be proactive!!!

Not a silly question, it is a common myth. I do not think you are at risk for STIs based off the restroom experience you described. The organisms that lead to an STI can not survive long outside the body, especially on a toilet seat. So even if a person who was infected did leave behind some type of bodily fluid (semen, vaginal secretion, blood, etc.), and you sat in it (ewww :o ) it is extremely unlikely that you would get an STI.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic