Specific STI tests for BDSM play

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Red_Stars
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He/him
Sexual identity: Gay

Specific STI tests for BDSM play

Unread post by Red_Stars »

I searched both here, and other websites, and I haven't been able to get an actual list of STI's to test for that are relevant to what I'm about to start doing with a new boyfriend. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, sorry if it isn't.

We intend to do blood-play, needle-play, and other things like that. Basically, breaking skin.. My skin only, not his, in case that makes a difference. We'll probably be having anal sex too, though that at least I'm already sort of familiar with. The BDSM stuff is really new to me. I am guessing that the usual STI tests maybe aren't going to be enough because this is beyond just regular sex. So what other things can I ask my doctor to test for?

We're both guys, in case it matters. He is far more experienced than me so I know I could ask him, but I'm kind of also wanting to impress him too... And me being proactive about safer sex stuff is definitely going to impress him.

As a side-note, yes I am aware that these are high risk activities and there are many safer things we could be doing. I absolutely will be talking to my doctor. And, I'm not asking about emotional risks or bodily harm risks, just diseases to get tested for.

Thanks!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Specific STI tests for BDSM play

Unread post by Mo »

When you go in for testing, you can talk this over with your doctor so they know your situation and the best things to test for. I doubt the tests your doctor will want to run will be much different, but it's certainly worth noting that you might be engaging in skin-breaking/bloodletting play.

If you haven't talked to your new partner about the safety precautions you're planning on taking with these activities, in terms of things like wearing gloves during any sort of bloodletting play or play-piercing especially, that's definitely a good thing to do as well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic