What is "Perfect Use"

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
hayleyeh

What is "Perfect Use"

Unread post by hayleyeh »

I've been on OTC-Lo for around 3 years now and have never had any problems.

In those 3 years, I've missed one pill and remembered to take it the next day. I seriously felt like a failure haha, my perfect track record - broken.

I was just wondering what perfect use would be? I often try and take my pill around 11AM every day. Sometimes this deviates an hour or two before depending on my work schedule. Sometimes 10AM, sometimes 12PM.

I know many say you have to take the pill right at 11 (in my case) in order for it to be considered perfect. Is this true? Or am I considered a "perfect user"?

I am in a monogamous relationship and we both get tested for STDs regularly so we often do not use a condom. We often "buddy up" with the withdrawal method just for an added benefit. I just wonder which category I would fall under when reading statistics.
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: What is "Perfect Use"

Unread post by Johanna »

Welcome to Scarleteen, hayleyeh!

A 'perfect user' is someone who takes the pill around the same time every day, does not miss any pills, and does not do anything that otherwise might compromise protection (such as taking certain antibiotics, for example). You do not have to take the pill at the same time on the dot every day to be considered a perfect user - taking it around the same time of day is perfectly sufficient.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic