Trusting "invisible" methods

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Trusting "invisible" methods

Unread post by Heather »

Some people have a very hard time trusting methods of contraception they can't see working: hormonal methods, or devices like IUDs. So, even though these are often the methods they choose, they aren't feel all that certain about them.

If this sounds like you, let's talk here about that. Learning to trust how medications you really need work is usually just a learning curve, and takes some experience so you can see you can, but there are certainly things we can talk about to help speed that process up a bit, or give you some helps with how to deal in the meantime and feel good about your choices.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Opheliac
Awesomeness Quotient: I have the ability to bend my elbow backwards
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Re: Trusting "invisible" methods

Unread post by Opheliac »

For some reason, I have a very difficult time trusting my BC pills. I have been on them for five months (Lo Loestrin FE for three, and Portia for two), and I have only missed a pill once, and when I am late, I always take it within a couple of hours. However, for some reason, even though I know it is illogical, I have a hard time trusting it. I spent the last week freaking out about the fact that I might be pregnant from some pre-ejaculate that could have possibly been on my boyfriend's fingers when we *ahem* messed around. I don't really know why I had this reaction. I trust him, and I know that there isn't really any reason for me not to trust the pill, but I still spent the last week panicking. Is there any way that I can get over this? I don't want this to happen every time I do something sexual.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I think getting past it really depends on why you feel like you can't trust it.

For example, is it about not trusting how medications work, and that they work, period, or just this one? Is it about the idea human reproduction is something someone up on high decides, rather than biology and physiology? Is it about a general distrust of science and medicine? Is it about not trusting yourself to use your pill properly? Is it just about not understanding how reproduction works, period (which may be an issue if and when you are afraid of becoming pregnant from things that are not at all likely to result in pregnancy, like manual sex)? Or something else...?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
ellington
Awesomeness Quotient: I am a complete history nerd.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by ellington »

I absolutely love the topic of this post! Personally, I have a very very hard time with it.

I am in my last semester of nursing school, and I have been dating a great guy for four years, during which I've tried a variety of BC methods including the pill, the implant, and now the Mirena IUD. I had the Mirena inserted in September at Planned Parenthood and it was such an awesome experience. I thought it was the perfect method for me and was really really excited about having such an effective and hands free method. Since the insertion though, I have found it insanely hard to trust that my Mirena is working/in the right spot. I've done so much reading about the method and its effectiveness, (we've even talked about it in school :roll: ) but I worry constantly about the device falling out of place or being "partially expelled." I check for my strings way more than anyone else I know with the Mirena. Sometimes, I even feel for the strings and wonder if I am actually feeling the strings or the tip of the device itself even though I am pretty sure it is the strings. It seems really silly to switch from the Mirena back to birth controll pills, but for some reason I had so much more peace of mind when I felt I was proactively protecting myself from pregnancy.

Anyways, sorry for the ramble, this post just really hits home for me! Does anyone else struggle with this 'trusting' the device to do it's job? Does anyone have any advice?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic