Birth control question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Questionss
not a newbie

Birth control question

Unread post by Questionss »

So i went to the doctor today and got birth control pills. The 28-day pack. Is it ok to start them tomorrow morning? or do i have to wait for a certain day?
Questionss
not a newbie

Re: Birth control question

Ok thank you!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Just a quick correction there. You can start at any time - did your doctor and you not talk about using your pill at all? - but if you are not starting on day one of a period, or on or before the first Sunday after a period, you will want to back up for one full pack of pills with a second method, as you may not have the full effectiveness of your pill until you are done with one pack. If you are starting on a day ine of a period or doing a Sunday start, then seven days will suffice.

Of course, the pill also provides no STI protection, so we advise people back up with condoms regardless to cover that base.

Too, given your posts here, know that when people start hormonal methods mid-cycle, it can take longer for periods to sync up, so since you have had a lot of worries around period changes, just know if you do it tat way, it may be more likely for things to be out of sorts on that front for longer than if you start on the first day of a period, or on or before the first Sunday after one begins.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Questionss
not a newbie

Well she didnt really make it clear but she mentioned day one of my period. But then my pharmacist said i can start any time. I also was hoping that i could start right away just so that im a bit more protected sooner. But i wasnt planning on intercourse in the super near future
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

For furture reference,when a doctor says something you don't get, you get to ask them to be more clear. It is their job to tell you how to use any medications they are prescribing.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Questionss
not a newbie

She said that overall im healthy and have gotten pretty consistent and regular periods anyways. so if the pharmacist said that i can start right away i should be fine right? And the worst that could happen is out of sync periods?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I feel like I already was pretty clear about what the differences are, in terms of when you have full protection (though that is not relevant if you are not engaging in any sex that can result in pregnancy), and just cycles being more likely to be out of sync with your pill for longer. Those are the primary differences with starting mid-cycle.
Questionss
not a newbie

Ok thank you for the clarification!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic