Autosexual

Questions and discussion about your sexuality and how it's a part of who you are as a person.
faun
Awesomeness Quotient: i am Fun
Primary language: English
Pronouns: It/its
Sexual identity: Asexual/Autosexual

Autosexual

Unread post by faun »

I discovered I'm probably autosexual (sexually attracted to myself) recently and I'm torn about how I feel about it.
On one hand, I've always loved myself a lot and i've been exploring myself sexually recently, and knowing that there's an identity and community for that makes me really happy. I've always thought of myself as asexual so this is very new to me and i'm really enjoying getting to know myself in new ways.
On the other hand, saying i'm only attracted to myself comes off as suuuuper self absorbed without the full understanding. I excitedly told some of my closest friends and the only response i got was a '?'. I know they won't judge me, but it was kind of a lukewarm response, and it's made me nervous to come out as autosexual to other people, including hypothetical future partners. I suppose I don't have to come out to people, like I never bother telling anyone at work that i'm nonbinary, but it's a bit disappointing. The average person probably thinks it's just narcissism (i will not even BEGIN to get into pop psychology's misunderstanding of narcissism) which it very much isn't lol.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Autosexual

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Faun,

It can for sure be stressful to feel as if a realization that helps you understand your own identity better is inspiring confused or judgemental reactions in other people! I do think you're right that, especially if this feels like a vulnerable spot, it's probably best to come out when it feels necessary or safe to you to do so.

Too, as much as you can, I would set aside worrying about how future partners might react. As you noted, those are all purely hypothetical scenarios right now, which means that worrying about them is going to stress you out without actually helping you figure out how to navigate a relationship you're actually in.

Do you have a sense of why your friend's lukewarm reaction set off those worries for you? Was there a kind of reaction you were hoping they'd have?
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic