Is this a safe lube alternative?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
CuriousBee
Awesomeness Quotient: Tall
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He/him
Sexual identity: Straight

Is this a safe lube alternative?

Unread post by CuriousBee »

:shock: so I was bored and was experimenting making slime with dietary fiber and water. As I was making it I noticed how slippery, thick, and slimy it was. I thought about how good it might be to use as lube for masturbation or anal play. The slimy attribute is part of its charm and I like how it strings across my fingers. I was wanting to know if this would be safe for my body and if there was anything I should be concerned with. Please help me thank you! If there's any lube products that are like this please let me know. I'm a male with a penis fyi
CaitlinEve
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Is this a safe lube alternative?

Unread post by CaitlinEve »

Hey CuriousBee!

I can't say I've ever thought about the viability of dietary fiber and water as a lubricant, but as a surface-level response I am inclined to say it wouldn't be something harmful to use as a lubricant... provided you're not using a blender on fiber granola bars and combining THAT with water (I would not recommend doing that). When you say dietary fiber, could you specify further? Do you mean fiber powder, or is it another form/thing?

There are lubricants that may be like the one you've made; specifically thicker lubes (Elbow Grease Lubricants has a thick water-based gel lube you may want to check out).
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Is this a safe lube alternative?

Unread post by Heather »

So, anything that creates any kind of sugar -- and any kind of carbohydrate will -- is something you will want to be careful using as lube because that can upset a bacterial balance. That's much more an issue with vaginal use than with use with the anus or a penis alone, but I'd still not make this a first choice. (I bet that you'll also find that if you actually tried to use it as this, it would not stay slippery for long once some real friction started happening).
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic