Pregnancy Risk Clarification

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
raeofsunshine45
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Pregnancy Risk Clarification

Unread post by raeofsunshine45 »

Hi all.

I have a clarification question about the pregnancy risk chart. My boyfriend and I participate in oral and clothed grinding but do not have sexual intercourse, anal or vaginal. We both try and keep boxers/panties on at all times as an extra barrier of protection - recently, however, we were both naked. He didn't ejaculate on or near my vulva/vagina. My question is about the risk regarding direct genital contact/rubbing. On the "Can I Get Pregnant or an STI" page, you indicate that there is a moderate risk for genital rubbing. Because my boyfriend and I don't rub genitals together while naked, does genital contact/rubbing include contact that may happen while we're switching positions? I want to be sure I understand what my risk may or may not have been if it was accidental/for a couple seconds/etc. I'm also a bit confused because on the "pregnancy scare, start here" page on your message board, you indicate there's a risk if there was genital rubbing/direct contact with ejaculate, but doesn't indicate pre-ejaculate. Again, I don't mean to be nit-picky, I'm just trying to understand.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Pregnancy Risk Clarification

Unread post by Heather »

When we talk about that, we mean people engaging in the kind of sex where they are intentionally rubbing genitals directly together.

We also account for all fluids that can be oart of any of the activities we list on that page.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
raeofsunshine45

Hi Heather,

Thanks for the quick reply and for your clarification. I'd like to clarify one last time - so since we don't "intentionally" participate in genital to genital contact, should I still consider this to be a risk? I know it's tough to tell for sure because there are so many variables. I would just like to understand better for now and the future.

Thanks again!
-R
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Genitals just kind of super-briefly brushing by in passing, which is what it sounds like you are asking about, would not be included here.

But for sure, if and when everyone's pants are off, then it is time to address safer sex and contraception, so, for instance, if the oral sex has been unprotected, I would address that, and talk about how you both feel about the STI risks involved. And if you would feel more comfortable with a condom being on in case of genital-to-genital contact, that would then cover that base, too.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
raeofsunshine45

Great.

Thank you, Heather! And thanks for the fantastic information on this site. It's great to have a safe and knowledgeable community I can trust.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

:) So glad you feel that way!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic