Question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
blackfyre
not a newbie

Question

Unread post by blackfyre »

I wanted to ask if two people were making out and one accidentally 'draws' blood (by biting or otherwise). What chance of transmitting infection exists in this scenario? Assume any virus or something.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Question

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Blackfyre,

Before I answer, are you describing something that actually happened to you? Or is this just a "what if" question?
blackfyre
not a newbie

It happened. Any chance of catching an STI from this?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

STIs and other infections that can be transmitted by blood can be if and when people have any blood sharing. Just one person bleeding, though, isn't the way that works: one person has to be bleeding, and the other has to be exposed to that blood in their genitals, eyes or mouth or in any open wounds.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
blackfyre
not a newbie

So if people are making out and one person bleeds, there is a risk? (even if the other person did not have any wounds in their mouth)
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

If they bleed into the other one's mouth, yes, then there is a risk of transmitting any bloodborne diseases or infections that person has (if they currently have any).
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
blackfyre
not a newbie

So kissing is a risky activity if we take this into account. I was confused by one of the articles.
That same article said that HIV transmission by Oral is rare. Would you put this risk in the same category?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Yep, and it is. Hepatitis is the biggie with risks with this, but if you have been vaccinated for it, as many people have, then that, too, is not a likely big risk. And, of course, few people have Hepatitis without knowing, so if the person you kissed doesn't have it, it's obviously no risk at all.
blackfyre
not a newbie

I'm sorry I'm confused.

So it's a low risk activity for transmission of STI even with the bleeding?
And when you said Yes and it is. What did you mean by it is, were you referring to the low risk of transmission like in oral sex?

We don't have many people screening for STIs where I come from hence I can't know if the other person had things like HIV.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Mind filling me in on where you're at?

Really, no one can know with real accuracy what someone's risks are when no one in a situation has that information about their own health. So, the risks remain just as I stated, that yes, there are always going to be potential risks of any bloodborne infections or diseases if and when someone is exposed to another person's blood. If your partner has no sense at all about their own health in this regard, that's all the information we can have to offer.
blackfyre
not a newbie

A little country in Asia. Conservative.

I understand, so potential risks for things like HIV exist. I was just asking whether it was high or low (as you stated in the oral thing it was rare). If you don't mind telling me this.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

If you could be more specific, chances are I could fill you in on STI screenings that are very likely within reach, but you just don't know yet how to access.

Last time: I can't tell you that any more than the information we have already given here, and in articles like this: Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?.

Because without knowing the status of anyone involved, no one is able to provide more information.
blackfyre
not a newbie

Subcontinent. Dunno why I'm hesitating telling you this. I'm sorry.

In this same article kissing had no risk even with fluids involved hence I took that to mean blood as well.

Assume that the partner had some disease like HIV, then what?

I know assumptions are not recommended, I'm just trying to make sense.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I really feel very locked in here. The thing is, if you are telling me you are sure there is no access to STI testing or treatment where you live -- which is highly unlikely, especially since you live somewhere with internet access -- then talking to you about testing and treatment (which would be what one would do if they felt they may have been at risk of HIV or other bloodborne infections) makes no kind of sense, because it seems clear you're saying you and your partner either won't get tested, or don't want to find out if you can.

If you look on that page, you'll see at the bottom that blood sharing is listed as increasing the risk of any activity per STIs. By how much depends almost entirely on what, if any, infections and diseases may have been in the blood that was shared. So, if you don't know that, and a partner won't or can't find out, we can't know that, either. All we can know is that IF the blood in question came from someone with something that can be transmitted by blood, like HIV or Hepatitis, for example, then yes, there are risks of those infections being transmitted to you.

Truly, I need to close this conversation up if it's going to stay this circular. You want me to give you information that I simply am not able to with the information you're giving me, and going around and around with those limitations is just not a sound use of my time or yours.
blackfyre
not a newbie

Thanks for all the information Heather :)

I will go to a blood lab soon, I apologize if I dragged you in a circular argument.

And sorry for the apparently basic question, this STI testing is confidential right? I've never taken them so I do not know. Please if this question is stupid, I apologize in advance.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Again, now you're asking me for your local policies about STI testing, after telling me there wasn't any available. I can't know what the policies are for a given country or state without knowing what it is.

Privacy is a common standard with this, as it is with any kind of healthcare in most areas, but to find out what the policies are where you are, you either need to call where you'd get tested and ask, or tell me where you're going to get tested so I can look.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic