The wide, wide world of relationship models

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

The wide, wide world of relationship models

Unread post by Heather »

One of our new users just mentioned feeling isolated because she's a teenager who's poly, so thought it might be nice in the newbie area to have a thread for folks to talk about the wide array of relationship models there are out there, and how diverse our choices can be, whatever our age.

So, from polyamory or monogamy, open relationships to closed ones, barely-dating to dating-for-years, considering marriage to considering everything but marriage, from relationships that are only sexual to those that are in no way sexual, friendships to family to partners and all the things any of those words can mean or encompass... what's your story right now?

And how supported do you feel in the model or models of your relationships by others? Do you feel very included, or set apart? Like your relationship models are honored or disrespected? Do you feel able to really go for what model you yourself want, or like only certain models -- even if they're not what you really want! -- feel like real options?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
CrestedCaracara
Awesomeness Quotient: Good at quiz bowl
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Queer?

Re: The wide, wide world of relationship models

Unread post by CrestedCaracara »

Thanks for a great topic, Heather!

I'm in a pretty awesome romantic/sexual/friend all combined (closed) relationship with my significant other. We're going to different colleges soon, and while I wanted to at least consider an open relationship I had my best friend and psychologist tell me that they're basically not possible and don't happen. Discussions will proceed with my S.O., of course, but it doesn't seem like he believes in them either. That's a shame because I would like to be able to sort out my sexuality in college.

But I complain too much- I'm very lucky to be in a culture/family/community where I can have an S.O. and do so much with them. Anyone else dealing with stuff like this?
"He was struck by the fidelity of this earth he inhabited and he bore it sudden love." Suttree, Cormac McCarthy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic