Safe Lesbian Sex

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
pinkelephant
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She

Safe Lesbian Sex

Unread post by pinkelephant »

My girlfriend and I haven't had sex yet, but I want to make sure that when we do, we are being safe and responsible. Unfortunately, there isn't much information on safe queer sex, and I'm not sure how cautious we need to be. Both of us are virgins, but I haven't been tested for any STD's. Do I need to get tested? Thank you!
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Safe Lesbian Sex

Unread post by Johanna »

Welcome to Scarleteen, pinkelephant!

Good on you for wanting to be safe :) If you have both never been sexual with anyone else, the chances that either of you has an STI are low, though some can be transmitted via non-sexual means, as well. It is always a good idea to get into a habit of regular check-ups and STI screenings when you are sexually active, so it you might as well go ahead and get started with that now.

We have a very comprehensive and inclusive article on safer sex that I am going to link you to, but if you have any specific questions or feel like the article does not provide the info you are looking for, we'll be happy to talk with you further. Here you go: Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Safe Lesbian Sex

Unread post by Mo »

You may find this article helpful as well: Figuring Out How to Be a Lesbian Safer Sexpert
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic