Diarrhea while on Birth Control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
questionasker5
Awesomeness Quotient: Smile
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: heterosexual

Diarrhea while on Birth Control

Unread post by questionasker5 »

Hi, so I'm on a low does oral contraception pill (Loestrin fe 1/20) and got a UTI this past Tuesday. From the cranberry juice I had been drinking, I got an upset stomach and had diarrhea from about 6 pm until 9 pm, for a combined total of 3-4 loose stools. I take my pills at 10:30 pm, and had taken my pill on time the night before. I took my pill at 10:30 PM the day of the diarrhea incident, with no further incidents of diarrhea occurring after I took my pill.

My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex (for the first and last time, honestly it's not worth the worry) on the Sunday before the incident. He did not ejaculate inside of me. Does this still count as a "missed pill" since it was approximately 20 hours after my last dose of birth control, and because it occurred before I took my next dosage, with no further incidents afterwards? Should I be concerned there was a lack of coverage?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Diarrhea while on Birth Control

Unread post by Mo »

If I have the timeline right, you had sex a few days before you had diarrhea, and the diarrhea happened well after the previous night's pill and before that night's? Nothing in that scenario indicates an interruption in coverage.
What we do suggest, though, is that folks who are having intercourse on the pill go ahead and back up with condoms as well - that way if there ever is a situation in which your pill's effectiveness might be compromised a bit, there's another reliable form of birth control to pick up the slack. So that's something to keep in mind if you do want to have intercourse in the future.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic